Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with my mesa 400 (not plus)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, Oct 23, 2003.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    both the power and pre amp tubes are fairly new although it's possible that they are already bad. the symptoms are:

1)when first turning on the unit i hear a crackling, static sound for about 5 seconds.

2)sometimes i will get the same crackling,static sound when playing as well

3)it may be my imagination but this only seems to be happening when using the inside 4ohm speaker output jack.

i tested the cabinet with another amp and sprayed the output jacks with contact cleaner.

any ideas?

2. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Just and idea but might be the wrong tubes or something like biased or whatever it is?

3. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Clean and tighten your tube sockets.

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    can i just spray electronics contact cleaner into the tube sockets? how do i tighten them? thanks for the advice.

steve

5. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Steve,

You'll need to something to rub the contacts with the cleaner. I've found that the stick from a q-tip works very well. Each hole in the socket should have a pair of contacts that grips the tube pins. CAREFULLY pry them closer towards the center of the hole with a needle. However, you'll want to drain the filter caps first.