1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with my MIA Deluxe Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Oct 11, 2010.

1. So, I was working a gig Saturday and my MIA Deluxe Precision which always sounds great started to have a problem in the second set. started fuzzing out a bit. I heard ot thru my amp and gui**** heard it thru IEM.

First thought speaker. nope working fine. then thought wireless and pedals. nope, unhooked them all and went to bass > cable> amp.

Thought maybe amp. nope, went straight into board.

thought battery issue as the bass requires 2 9v. nope, tested both on break. fine.

the only thing i could figure was the mid sweep knob. it was coming loose during the second and third set. for some reason i can't the set screw to bite tight on the shaft of the pot. anyway, before the fourth set, i was able to really tighten it the best i could and had no problems with the noise during the last set.

I am guessing that since the knob is metal, there is some weird grounding occurring. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Just to interject on stuff I really know very little about, but my basses drop out if the battery is below 7.5v and most new batteries that I have tested start around 8.4v or so.
    There actually is very little battery to be had (for what I use). So they may have tested fine, but that still could be an issue. Also, check the wiring. if any of the soldier points are broken to the smallest degree, that could have been part of the cause as well.

3. battery seems to be the quickest test. Just put a new battery in and see how it sounds.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, try a fresh set of batteries, and if that doesn't do it, take it in for a look, unless you're pretty good with electronics and soldering.

5. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I ran into a similar problem Saturday right before soundcheck. I changed batteries,cables,etc.,nothing worked. My keyboard player took the cable end going into my amp and pushed it in and out about 10 times. Turns out my input jack was dirty. Works fine now.

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    The loose pot could be the problem, especially if any dirt, dust or debris has gotten into it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021