problem with my new bass (help?!?!?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebug, Feb 12, 2002.

1. I just bought a new Dean Edge Q6 and it plays great, the only small thing that irritates me is that the volume control and the mid-control make a noise when I use them (don't really know how to explain it in English, some sort of grrkkkrl). What to do about it?
  2. The knobs just may be dirty... pull the caps off and see what they look like. Usually some compressed air, or a good blow will blow anything loose.

I've even seen hair wrapped around them... take a good look.

It could also be a short... but from the sound you made, grwweak, it's kinda hard to pin-point it.
  3. well the sound is kinda hard to describe it's like a buzz when you turn the knob and from what I can see the knobs are still very clean, I mean I only got the bass for four days and it was brand new when I bought it. It really really bugs the $@#$ out of me...
  4. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Had a similar problem with my MIJ Jazz. It would crackle loudly while adjusting the volume, but was fine when I stopped turning it. I tried the compressed air, and also tried some of that compressed electrical contact cleaner. No dice, so I ordered a replacement pot from Stewart-McDonald (less than $10 bucks if I remember) and after a quick change, no more problem. If you don't get the results from cleaning them, replacing them is pretty straightforward. One note: if your Dean is active, you'll probably need 500k pots, if it's passive, probably 250k.
  5. I would take it back too. Make them fix it for free, or give you a new bass ... no sense messing around with something that's brand new! Thats why you got it new - so it would work perfect!
  6. thanks for the replies everyone!, yeah I think I'll take it back to the store today, makes me feel kinda sad :( , hopefully the won't make any problems and just give me a new bass or atleast repair mine for free............
  7. Well I called the shop and they told me to bring it round to them so they could have a look, the only problem is that I don't have a case the bass yet and that the shop is about 250 km away from where I live, so I asked them what they were going to repair the bass, they explained it to me and I just did the 'operation' myself and the patient is completly cured :D thanx for the replies!!!!

btw. WD40 rules!!!!!!!