Problem with my schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    hey everyone,

I recently received my long awaited schroeder 410. It definetely packs a punch, but still I cant wait to hear it with a more powerful head and better bass. Anyway, at my band's last practice, I noticed a slight bit of distortion and the volume cutting in and out. I looked at the back and the 1/4 speaker cable was looseish in the input. I took it out and the tip of it got left behind in the hole. Tried to get it out unsuccessfully.

This morning I popped down to my music store (I bought the cab online not from this store) and asked a guy there if I could hook up thr speaker using speakon's. He plugged it in for a sec and seemed to be working fine. However he didnt play for very long, I think he was thinking that I didnt buy it there wasnt really his problem sort of thing. So it seems (not 100% sure though) that the problem is the 1/4 input. Has this happened to anyone before, the tip becoming bent? I dont know if its the speaker cable that was faulty or input too big or what. I e mailed Jorg and he seemed to think it could have been a blown speaker but hopefully its just the input. However the guy at the store said that theres no way I can take out the input and get the tip of the cable out, coz of the way it was built, so that really bummed me out. Itl be great if I can play with the speakons, but Id still would have liked to have both options available to me. Anyone thats that off my chest lol Hopwefully Il get it all sorted, the schroeders sure pack a punch
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA

Well, a couple of thoughts.... obviously it would be best if the broken tip could be removed. But.... did your Schroeder come with two 1/4" jacks? If so, they are in parallel - either one can be used as an input.

I'd still worry about that broken tip, though, and it's potential for shorting the amp's output signal.... if you really can't get it out, I'd be inclined to pull the connector panel, and clip (and insulate) the wires to that jack. Then use the Speakon, or the other 1/4" (assuming it has a second one).

Best bet would be to find a good speaker tech, who can replace that jammed jack and put the cab back to "normal".
  3. ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    If he can pull the panel and reach the wires, he can remove the broken piece at that point.

Regarding the original problem, if the plug was broken, you were going to be getting an intermittent signal of some kind, so I wouldn't really worry about the distortion/cut out until you've removed the broken piece and then tried things again.
  4. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    thanks. It came with one 1/4 and one speakon input, so Id be happy to use the speakon, but still like to get the tip out as well
  5. ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Once you've got the broken tip out, you can always use a 1/4" to Speakon cable until you get a new amp with Speakon outs.
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The 1/4 jacks on the new Schroeders have a red "push to release" on did "push to release," rather than yank =, push and twist till the cable end broke, right?
    I recommend pulling the panel and getting the tip out...and buying a high grade speakon cable.
  7. Umm, I think you should change your heading to say I broke my jack off in my cab...

get a new input & jack and swap it out...