Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with my sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hookha, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    I have a rockbass 4 strings
    so i send her to setup...everything good...she comeback to me ,the trussrod is fine and etc.

but,the sound of my bass become different,now its very fat and heavy sound,when i playing with the EQ nothing change
    the sound stay heavy and very fat,i dont like that at all!

so what do you think the problem here?
    maybe the stuped guy that do my setup playd with the electronic&pickups?
    if he "playd" with my pickups he can ruin my sound?

it will be nice to get some suggest what the problem here (-:

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    How old are your strings? Plus, play with your EQ and your tone knobs.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Even just a setup can change the sound of the bass. If the strings were lowered, they're closer to the pickups...don't be afraid to lower or raise your pickups yourself. But that might not be the only consideration, since any changes can effect string tension, and change your tone as well.

Don't blame the 'stuped' guy because he set up the bass correctly.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He didnt 'play' with your electronics. He probably made the bass set up how it is supposed to be. The fact that it now sounds like a 'bass' is probably surprising to you.

5. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA

+1 on raising/lowering the pickups. I just setup my L-2000 today according to the user's manual and my pickups are much closer to the strings now - 1/8" on the E now; was >1/4". I did notice the same thing in that the tone controls don't seem to have as much of an effect on the sound as they did before the adjustments. I'm going to try lowering the pickups until I find that sweet spot (which may end up being where they used to be).:rolleyes:

6. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Did you get new/different brand of strings, ask the "stuped":rollno: guy what adjustments he made and if he can help you determine where your sound went.