1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with my Squier Jaguar SS bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by milospaun, Feb 17, 2018.

1. milospaun

milospaun

Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,
    just got my new Squier Jaguar SS bass today and i think there's something wrong with it - the 4th string (the E string) has a weird ring/resonance to it (sounds almost like a flanger/reverb or something)
    Other info about the issue:
    - it seems to be happening even when the bass is unplugged
    - i tried raising the action on the string slightly to move it away from the pickup but that didn't help
    - other strings sound ok (i think i'm hearing a tiny bit of this on the A string but the D and G sound completely fine)
    - i tried the sunburst variant that comes with the combo pack in a store once and it didn't have this problem

Does anyone have an idea what's happening and why? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance
    Audio example:
    Vocaroo | Voice message

2. Have a good look at the nut and how the strings are sitting in the slots first. Also check your saddles for anything going on that shouldn't be.

Neck relief is correct and setup is good?

Check all the basics first before you dive deeper..

What strings are on it? Factory or your own choice? Obviously rounds of some kind.

That E sort of sounds like a bum string maybe.

But I would check the nut slot where the E sits first.

Check neck screws that none are loose also.

Are there enough string wraps on the E post?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Garret Graves likes this.
  3. milospaun

milospaun

Feb 17, 2018
    I checked the intonation in the meantime and the E is sharp on the 12th fret but adjusting the saddle screw doesn't seem to move the saddle part and it doesn't affect intonation, didn't have time to properly test the other strings except that their intonation is fine

I am new to this so i might not be doing it right :s

Everything about the neck, strings and the setup is stock, I also reverted the action change on the E string

There seems to be too much free space in the nut for the E string, the other strings seem to be tightly clutched by the nut. The number of wraps around the tuners is 2 and it's the same for all strings.

I'm gonna try taking it back to the store since i have a 3 year warranty but i'm still asking around just in case they tell me to shag off and i'm stuck with this problem.

4. Got any pics of the nut, bass etc?

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Sounds like an E string Warble (this happens sometimes). A few things you can try before you take it back, the E string could be twisted. Remove the E-string and put it back on making sure you don't twist the string in the process - let the string end at the bridge twist naturally before you tightening the tuner. Sometimes this will fix the issue if the string isn't or wasn't damaged to begin with.
    However, it could also be an improperly cut nut on the E String in which case, replacing it should fix it. However, try the above first.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  6. milospaun

milospaun

Feb 17, 2018
    here's a picture of the nut, you can see how much free space there is where the e string rests IMG_20180219_092249.

here's a picture of the bridge: IMG_20180219_092320.
    some additional info:
    - when i play a fretted note on the 4th string there's very little sustain, the note dies out quickly
    - there's a little bit of space between the 4th string saddle and the 3rd string saddle unlike between the other saddles, is this bad? also the 4th string saddle can be moved left-right while the other saddles seem to be locked tightly in place, is this also a potential problem? 15190297307781660076718.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. Phud

Phud

Jul 2, 2017
    Ohio
    From the center pic, your E string doesn't look down in the saddle, it looks like daylight under it. Try holding the E string down on or behind the bridge saddle. Then pluck the E string and see if that got rid of the noise.
    If it did, and If it's still under warranty contact the seller to see if they will rectify this problem.
    If not, take it to a luthier. Or if you feel comfortable:
    Take a small round edge file and carefully file into the bottom and slightly to sides of the slot until ( Carefully, not too much!) the string settles into the saddle slot and the rattle or noise goes away. You may have to adjust the height of your E string height.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  8. milospaun

milospaun

Feb 17, 2018
    so i tried restringing the E using the same string and it 90% solved the problem, i'll provide a sound comparison file once i get home from work.

i think the 10% that are bothering me are just the 'new string' tone that throws me off since i used to have very old strings on my previous bass. thanks for all the help on the issue, the community here is awesome

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Did you check the witness point at the saddle? From the pic it looks like the string might benefit from being pressed down in front of the saddle to improve the witness point.

10. milospaun

milospaun

Feb 17, 2018
    Vocaroo | Voice message

here's the link to an audio sample containing the open E played before and after restringing with the same string, however, it still doesn't sound quite like the one i tried or the way it sounds in video demonstrations on youtube, though at this point i'm pretty sure it's the strings because all of the strings (played without an amp) sound metallic and buzzy

11. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Not sure how anyone hasn't said this yet: Your string is twisted.