1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with my SVT4Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonlivesformusi, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jonlivesformusi

Jonlivesformusi

Apr 3, 2009
    (yeah i know these amps have alot of problems) haha

So a while ago my Ampeg svt4pro developed this sort of rattle sound when i would play a note. It kind of sounds like a blown speaker, but does it no matter what cab I play through. Today I replaced the 3 12ax7's and it still does it.

To be honest, i'm pretty clueless when it comes to Tech stuff, so I have no idea what it could be.

Any ideas or help would be Greatly appreciated!

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The only thing that comes to mind aside from tubes is maybe a bias issue.... especially if it sort of buzzes in-tune (harmonically) as a note dies out.......

maybe I'm not "getting it" as to the rattle.......

3. Jonlivesformusi

Jonlivesformusi

Apr 3, 2009
    How would I resolve it?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Take it to a tech and let him check the bias on the MOSFET. Has to be done by a tech or you can burn up the amp.

5. Jonlivesformusi

Jonlivesformusi

Apr 3, 2009
    after thinking about it, is there any chance this could be fret buzz coming through, I play an ernieball musicman sterling and there is alot of fret buzz, but is it possible that could be coming through the amp?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, if you figure out it's the amp, not the bass, take it to a tech.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Of course! Try it with a bass that doesn't have it and see.

8. Dan S

Dan S

Mar 3, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I also use an EB Sterling into a SVT 4 and was having the same issues... after some much appreciated help from these fine forums I was able to eliminate the problem by making sure my strings were wound properly around the tuning peg and lowering the height of my pickup. If you're tuning lower than standard I'd also consider getting a heavier gauge of strings. It worked for me, hopefully it works for you too!

9. Jonlivesformusi

Jonlivesformusi

Apr 3, 2009
    To lower the pickup do you just tighten the screws around it? lol.

And also i'm pretty sure I wind the strings around the tuning peg correctly, but just incase, whats the proper way?

I play in drop C#, but I already use EB Power slinkys (110's)

Thanks so much for all your help guys!