Problem with my Yamaha BB605

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJY, Mar 12, 2005.

1. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Hi all,

Just wanted to ask for u guy's advice. I own a Yamaha BB605, retrofitted with a pair of dimarzio ultra jazz pickups. The problem with this bass is that there are dead spots in the C# to Eb range on the A string. These are not exactly dead spots, but you could obviously hear that the notes there sound thinner and have less sustain, especially when playing in lower temperatures.There are the usual dead spots on the G string too, but that doeasn't bother me as much. This is frustrating, as those notes on the A string are what most people, including myself, would play the most often. I've checked the neck, and it seems fine, with no signs of twisting or warping. I usually string them with D'addario or Ernie Ball's 130 - 45.

Anybody out there with any advice? I thought of stringing them with lighter gauge(125 - 40) strings and putting more bow into the neck so that the problem will not be that obvious, but somehow feel that that will not solve the problem.

I hadn't noticed this problem when I bought this bass 1 1/2 yrs ago,probably because I wasn't looking out for a fault like this. At home, where it is more warm and humid, the problem is not THAT obvious.

I have considered selling this bass and getting another, but would like to hear your comments first. Thanks in advance.
  2. JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    the only advise i can give you is that they are in the same spot on my 605 and there is really not much you can do to fix it...i have tried to fight the dead spot fight for 6 years and really have no answers except that you are probably not going to be able to fix it, and that is just the way the instrument is.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    See if you can find a Fatfinger. It is a piece of steel that you can clamp on your peghead that adds mass to the neck and reduces or eliminates dead spots.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Possibly the frets are not properly seated.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I didn't even notice the date of the OP.:p