1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with new Ampeg PF-500 and portaflex cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcontour, Jan 6, 2012.

1. mcontour

mcontour Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Received my new Ampeg portaflex 15" cabinet and PF-500 amp. I mounted the amp to the lid of the cabinet per the instructions in the you-tube video.

During the first usage I discovered that the metal lid of the amp resonates quite fiercely at certain notes, and the combo is unusable.

If I press down on the metal lid, the rattle goes away, as expected.

Anyone have this issue with this new equipment? Any recommendations before I send it back??

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Michael

2. mcontour

Apr 27, 2008
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Never mind. I searched the forum for pf-500 rattle and found a number of posts on this already.

Sorry....

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's cool...usually just a screw needs tightening somewhere. Post again if you can't figure it out...I'm pretty good at diagnosing rattles, but I'd bet it's in one of the head mounting screws not being tight enough. Don't overtighten but make sure they're snug.

4. Wait, there's a youtube video for mounting the head?

I searched both manuals repeatedly and found nothing, then I just figured it out on my own...I guess I did it right. Was pretty nervous about poking holes in the tolex for the mounting screws.

5. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    This Internet thingy is limitless.
    Thanks, Al Gore!

7. mcontour

Apr 27, 2008
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Tightened up the case screws...didn't work. Adjusted the four amp hold-down screws so the rubber feet all had the same amount of squish. Didn't work. :crying:

Went to hardware store...bought:

• Small felt circles with adhestive on one side.
    • Very thin double sided adhesive foam tape.
    • Thin rubber feet with holes in the middle
    Applied 3 felt circles to the top of each of the large heat sinks (the tops sit just below the metal cover).

Applied the very thin tape to the unpainted portion of the metal lip that the lid rest on.

Replaced the thick/squishy rubber feet from Ampeg with the thinner feet.

Reattached the metal lid. When I tapped on the lid with my knuckles, the rattle was gone. :D

Final test with the bass.....Solid low end with no lid rattles. :hyper:

This amp/cabinet has a great sound, especially with the extreme low button engaged...

8. PlayFretless

PlayFretless

Nov 16, 2013
    First of all, I do love the power from such a lightweight head. However, when I needed to fill the room and crank it up I noticed a rattle as well. And since I play Jazz it was very loud in comparison.

Being a PC technician, I cracked the top only to find 3 screws were never installed in the motherboard. I added the 3 screws, and all is right with the world.