Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with new Lakland 55-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gecko 5, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I just received my new 55-01 from Bass Central a week and a half ago .
    I used it at a gig Sunday night for the first time .
    My amp is a Carvin RC210 , 210 combo .
    My other bass I've used for several years is a Warmoth Gecko with passive Schaller soap bar pickups with an EMG BTC tone circuit .
    Problem is , When I play the low B , it sounds like the speakers are going to die !! Like the signal is too hot . I fixed the problem by turning way down , but to a point where I could not hear myself .
    With the Warmoth I could hit the B as hard as I wanted , no problems .
    I just downsized my rig and I don't want to add more stuff .
    HELP !!!! :bawl:

2. Musical Low B

Musical Low B

Aug 8, 2005
    IL
    What you may need to do is lower your PUPS on the b string side. Most basses tend to have that same problem because the pickups are not set up properly. There's a good general answer on how to set up your pickups at Sadowsky Bass website's FAQ page.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad I read this. I may need to lower my pups too.

4. Musical Low B

Musical Low B

Aug 8, 2005
    IL
    Glad to be of service on my first time in here! I also own a 55-01, and I love it! It plays better than basses costing 3 times as much, if you learn how to tweak it properly. Actually, it comes from the factory pretty well set up anyway. All I did was swap out the Korean made Barts for their American cousins. Quieter and fuller sounding. If you do funk and jazz, make sure you get the Bartolini P25CBC's. They have an airy, more open sound than the standard Barts...brighter and modern sounding for thumping(the original name for "slap bass").

Oh, the link to the Sadowsky FAQs page is http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_faq.html.

And by the by, I think personally that every bassist should know a little about the workings of their instrument. It'll save you a little cash down the road, and may make you a little cash if you change other people's pu's for them. But remember kiddies...there is no substitute for a great repair shop if you get in over your head!

5. I've received my 55-01.
    Wonder which department is this bass is so good/not so good? Just your opinion.
    This is mine...
    1. Playability - above average
    2. Finishing - below average. Glue marks on fret board, minor scratches, wood on headstock over shaved/sanded(not good at discription) at one of the side.
    3. Features - above average. 35" Scale, Dual access bridge, graphite reinforced neck.
    4. Hardware - above average. Tuners sturdy, bridge secure, bolt-on secure (however, the screws is not in the center in relation to the holes).
    5. Pickups - MK-1 quiet enough, nice tonal character.
    6. Electronics - good tonal range (NTMB)
    7. Wood tone - above average.

In terms of finishing, my Yamaha is better. In terms of tone, this bass is solid.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I owned a 55-01 for a while, and just about everything about it was really great... easily worth more than the cost of a new one. The setup and finish were fantastic, with no noticable flaws anywhere. It sounded great, with a very useable preamp and perfectly functioning electronics. It was also quite aesthetic. It wasn't the Holy Grail of music instruments, but by golly, it was a darn good deal and an instrument that I'd be confident in bringing with me up on stage. At their price point, I couldn't recommend them enough, and with Dan Lakin's supreme customer support (he's been HUGE in helping me with a Skyline Bob Glaub I'm having built), I wouldn't argue that they're one of the best bass deals out there.

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have had problems with my 55-01 from day one.
    First let me say that at this moment I like the bass and I think it will stay around but here is my list of problems.
    When I first pulled it out of the box I noticed that the bidge pickup on the G string side was very high and hitting the strings so I tried to screw it down. Turns out the screw hole was stripped so I had to take the strings off and pull the pickup out and fill the hole. I redrilled the hole and put it back together.
    Now that the bass was back together I could plug it in and give it a test drive. I noticed right away that the preamp was distorting. I pulled the volume knob up to put it in bypass and it sounded fine. After changing the battery and messing with it some more it still wasn't working right.
    I emailed Dan Lakin and he sent me out a new preamp board. I replaced the board and the problem was still there.
    I determind that the problem was in the mid pot.
    Dan sent me a replacement pot for mid control. I removed the bad one and soldered in the new one and the problem was fixed.
    One week later I noticed that one of the screws holding in the output jack was loose. I screwed it back in but a day later it was loose again. I then pulled the jack out and fixed the hole and redrilled and now that problem is fixed.
    Now it seems OK but the fret ends seem to stick out past the fretboard and might need some attention.

Like I said, I do like the bass and I would have sent it back for repairs but I didn't want to ship it if I could get the parts for free and just fix it myself. Other guys might not be able to do this kind of work and would have been forced to return the bass for repairs.
    I have heard of others with problems with these basses and I think Dan does a good job with customer service but I think that better Q control would go along way.
    Or maybe I just got a problem bass.
    I still love her.:)

8. Edwcdc,
    Yeap better QC would go a long way. Mine have glue marks and scratches on the fret board when it came. Some scratches on the body. The tuners have scratch marks on them as well. The headstock was sanded off a little bit at the tip. Pots installed have different height (different numbers of washer rings installed).
    In these situations, Dan's fantastic customer's service really mattered. He offered new tuners and considered the bass as blemished.
    However, this bass sounds very good. Its a keeper!

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My 55-01 arrived in perfect condition. So did my Skyline Joe Osborn 4 sig. I have absolutely no complaints about Lakland. Two of the best playing basses I've ever played, and I've been playing for 30 years. In fact, the JO4 is the best playing bass I've ever played.