Problem with new SIT strings, please help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zachass, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Just trying to find out if this is a string defect, which I'm pretty sure it is. Bought a pack of SIT powerwounds, all the strings are fine except for the e string, which when I put on buzzed like hell especially on fingerings before the 12th fret. On closer examination, the string appears to be two different gauges, getting thicker on about the 12 fret. I'm pretty sure this is what's causing the buzzing and the string to sound horrible, or do I have to adjust the truss rod? All the other strings don't buzz. And if it's a defect, who do I complain to, the retailer or SIT? THanks.
  2. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I recently had an issue with the G string of a set of powerwounds. It's likely a defective string - my G string was buzzy and chorusy. Swapped it for the G in another set and it was fine. So I sent an email to and sent them a copy of the web receipt from I told them the problem and asked if they'd send a replacement - they did, 2 in fact. Previous to that I had asked about extra long B strings for string through body and they sent me 2 as well. Long story short - they are still Mom & Pop enough to respond to customers and address defective strings. Good luck.
  3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I hate those strings.... they should be called S-%-I-T strings. The most consistent out of the box for me have been DRs and Rotosounds.

But your problem may be best served by your local repair guy or the setup forum. It usually isn't the strings in the scenario you are speaking of. The truss rod or nut could be to blame IMHO.
  4. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Yeah they emailed me back, they're gonna send me a new set, thanks for the help.
  5. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Glad to help. Good to know there are still a few companies out there that understand customer service. Don't be surprised if you get 2 sets in the mail -seems to be their m.o. from my experience.
  6. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I have been a SIT user for quite a few years and have never had a problem with the strings...I have heard they have a good CS and PR with customers from others in the past (Local Company here) I have both silencers on my jazz and and power flats on my P bass and love the feel and tone from them...sounds like a dud but setup could also be to blame.