Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with New Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Head Creep, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I just got and put on a set of GHS strings (5 string, roundwound, proper length and all), and they're extremely tight to the point where I can't properly tune them. With all the strings, it doesn't get even close to properly tuned before it feels like the string's about to snap. I cut all the strings a bit longer than the stock strings, so I don't think the problem's there. Any suggestions?

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The GHS strings I have used (made for Lakland) felt like medium to low tension so that is a bizarre situation. I know the Lakland strings are made a little longer to handle 35" scale and through body stringing but if you cut them longer than the stock strings then I can safely say I have no idea.

3. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well, I'm gonna swing by Guitar Center on Monday and pick up a different set. Hopefully I can just mark this one up to bad luck with a manufacturing defect...

4. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    maybe you should check the neck tension. Did you take off a heavier gauge than these newer ones.
    Did you replace them one at a time or did you actually de-string the bass. This would allow the truss rod to pull neck back.