1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with New Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Head Creep, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I just got and put on a set of GHS strings (5 string, roundwound, proper length and all), and they're extremely tight to the point where I can't properly tune them. With all the strings, it doesn't get even close to properly tuned before it feels like the string's about to snap. I cut all the strings a bit longer than the stock strings, so I don't think the problem's there. Any suggestions?

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The GHS strings I have used (made for Lakland) felt like medium to low tension so that is a bizarre situation. I know the Lakland strings are made a little longer to handle 35" scale and through body stringing but if you cut them longer than the stock strings then I can safely say I have no idea.

3. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well, I'm gonna swing by Guitar Center on Monday and pick up a different set. Hopefully I can just mark this one up to bad luck with a manufacturing defect...

4. fleetwood

fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    maybe you should check the neck tension. Did you take off a heavier gauge than these newer ones.
    Did you replace them one at a time or did you actually de-string the bass. This would allow the truss rod to pull neck back.