1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

problem with new traynor yba 200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Dec 21, 2006.

1. i just got the traynor yba 200 in today and it is not loud enough for me at all. i dont care about clean headroom, i want the grit, but still, cranked up all the way it is barely even worthy of the title loud. i am running it through an old 70's Earth 2x15 cab. i dont know how many ohms the cab is. i looked at the back of the speakers and they didn't say anything on them. im really up set because i could of paid 100 bucks for a crappy guitar head that sounded more how i wanted it to than this and was twice as loud. whats wrong here???? also, is it true that these can safely go down to 2 ohms?

2. wait nevermind, i just switched the the 4ohm side and plugged into that jack on that side too and its loud as balls. i'd still like to know how it works out with 2 ohms? and if anyone has any good settings for it???

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I believe the yba 200 can run at 2ohms, but you will not get any increase in power since it is tube.

Actually, I believe the yba uses a protection circut that decreases the wattage when you run it at 2ohms.

4. That's good, cause I have this amp and I was gonna say, how loud is loud enough for you? Mine is ridiculous loud - when I crank the master past 6 my drummer's entire kit (when idle) starts vibrating sympathetically and you can hear the walls and all the heater vents rattling... :bassist:

What have you been using for settings? I play with a pick and I've been having trouble dialing in a tone that I'm really happy with. It's getting close but man this amp is sensitive to small changes in the EQ.

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    <insert foot into mouth> ;)

6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Actually, that's only on the hybrid heads like the XS-800. It will do 600@8 ohms, 800@4 ohms, and 600@2 ohms. The YBA 200 will do 200 at 2-4-8 ohms. It's always best to match impedances, as you'll get full clean headroom. Alot of guitar players set their impedance selector incorrectly on purpose to make the amp distort sooner.

AEIOU.....Glad it worked out!

Corey

7. ^ ^ oh man you're the guy who sold me the head too haha thats cool. the head rules now that i figured it out a little bit more

8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    ALWAYS feel free to P.M. or call me with any questions.
    Corey

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hi Corey,

I hate to disagree with you, but the YBA 200 is stable at 2ohms but you also lose 20W-40W from the protective circutry. While this jump in power isn't extreme it's still there, probably enough to matter a whole lot. Posts agreeing with this info can be found throughout YBA 200 threads on TB. And some SS power sections do this too, it's all about how they're designed...

Here's a good thread talking about this drop in power for the YBA 200: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140651

Start looking about 3-4 posts down before you get into the meat of it. :)

And yes, I'm aware of proper imedance matching on tube heads, but it's good the thread poster be aware of it.

Eric

10. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  11. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    yeah... I was told by traynor that at 2ohms... it runs at about 160W

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Well, in any case, it looks like everything's cool.

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It's not a protective circuit... it's just the way tube amps are.

14. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, and the added volume from having more speaker cone area makes up for it significantly.

15. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    wow! I am jamming at a new place that is providing a yba, and matchin cab,and it is weak at best! is it true, that you have to plug in to the jack on the 4ohm side? it was probly running at 8ohms the other night, which was not loud at all!
    I can't wait to try this out! if not, then I'll have to schlep my swr down there.

16. i've never noticed a difference as to which side i have my speak cables plugged in.
    it does matter that you set the impedence probably though.
    i'm running through a yorkville 8x8 right now and its plenty loud, i just find that i lacks balls unless you get the pre and master volume up to around 7.
    try 7, its a lucky number after all.

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Setting impedance correctly DOES matter, but at either 8 or 4 ohms, it'll put out 200 watts.

18. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Maybe I am deaf from all these years, but I was suprised about how "unloud" this head was when I had it, too. It was louder with an ampeg 810 at 4ohms than with the avatar 2x12at 8ohms, but that is quite a difference in speaker area. One thing to remember is that the tone controls are flat at 10, which if I remember correctly made a big difference.

19. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I run it through an Avatar 4x10 and this bad boy is LOUD for me. Tons more presence than my SS amps with more wattage, there is something about tube power amps that makes every ounce of sound FELT.

As for dialing tones, I think there are a number of useable tones on here- I am still messing with the EQ but I have a really nice pick tone, a decent clean finger tone, and some diiirrrrttyy overdrive.

20. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Alot of your problem is probably that old Earth speaker bottom, especially, if it still has the old original drivers in it. If you afford it, swap those out for a pair of Eminence Kappalite 3015 Neo's. They have a real high SPL factor that will get alot more volume for you. Remember that an added 3 dbs of speaker SPL, is like doubling your amps wattage.