Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with peavey black widow

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larz Gearbox, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Larz Gearbox

Larz Gearbox

Jan 4, 2004
    hi,
    i have a peavey combo 115 with a 15 inch black widow in it, when i play through it, it sounds unclear and distorted, almost like there is a distortion unit plugged in (which there isn't). Now would replacing the basket solve my problem or do i have a completely bung speaker??

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Actually, replacing the basket will solve any speaker related problem (unless someone has taken a sledge hammer to the magnet structure or dropped it off a building).

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Replacing the basket won't help. It could be a blown speaker.

Try this. Spread your fingers evenly around the speaker cone and push the speaker gently. The cone should move cleanly and without noise. If the speaker doesn't move , or if you can hear a scraping sound, that's a tell tale sign of a blown speaker. While you're there check the speaker for signs of physical damage such as tears or rips.

I'd look at getting a recone. It's cheaper than a new speaker and they basically change everything - cone, surround, spyder, voice coil, everything except the basket. The basket doesn't really do anything other than hold it all together. It's more structural than mechanical.

4. Peavey makes replacement basket assemblies that bolt on to the magnet. They call them "field repairable" speakers. It's a nice gimmick and comes in handy ocassionally, but IMHO, they do it so they can make cheaper, lower quality speakers and tout their "repairability" as a sales feature. Peavey's replacement basket unit IS essentially a total recone with the exception of recharging the magnet (which rarely EVER needs to be done except on ancient speakers). The basket includes a new frame, voice coil, spider, and cone, all pre-assembled; you just unbolt the old blown basket from the magnet and re-bolt the new one on and you're done. They Black Widows are the only brand of speaker with which that can be done.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I stand corrected. Thanks PBG.

6. Larz Gearbox

Larz Gearbox

Jan 4, 2004
    alright thanks guys.
    i think i have it sussed. i'm not sure what everything is called, but when i gently push the cone in, i can hear it scraping, i took the magnet off and had a look, the bit that goes into the slot on the magnet, is it the voice coil?? is scraping in one small place, there is a (small) rough edge on the voice coil(??) that is causing the scraping, if i move it just right the scraping stops and the distortion effect goes away. Now can i real gently sand the rough bit down so it is smooth and stops scraping on the magnet??

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You may as well give it a go. You've got nothing to lose. If it dosn't work you're up for the same repair bill as before. And maybe, just maybe it will fix it and save you some cash.

8. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I doubt you can make it much worse than not working.

On the failed BW's I have seen they usually have a burned spot on the voice coil or the whole voice coil warps so it rubs the magnet in 1 or 2 spots.

9. Larz Gearbox

Larz Gearbox

Jan 4, 2004
    well i give the rough bits on the voice coil (that i guess had burned out) a quick sanding with a nail file, and it seems to have worked just fine, atleast for now anyway.

10. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Keep in mind that there should be insulation on the outside of the wire; some amps will take damage from trying to feed a dead short.

I wouldn't expect the polishing solution to last long.