1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with peavey Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maturanesa, Jan 7, 2012.

1. hi!

I recently bought two custom cabs equiped with peavey speakers (1x15, and 2x12), 250W each. Both are 8ohms.

I have a GK MB bass head, 150W, 4omh.

A few days ago i was playing with the 1x15 cab, with the head at half of the power, and the bass frequencies at medium, and it starts to clipping and the cone bouncing very noticiably when i played hard with the right hand. A half hour later the sound clips everywhere and start some distort rare sounds, like broken...

Today i played a gig with the other cab 2x15, with the head at high volume and the cone bounce a lot too, but the sound seems to be fine, no clips.

Could it be a factory failure in the 1x15 cab? some impedance thing? its normal to see the cones moving noticiably?

Today m going to test the 2x15 at maximum volume and see what happens... Im really afraid of broke this cabs, the guaranty is not forever, i got them about a month or two, but i start using them the day the 1x15 broke up...

some help?

thanx

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Who made these "custom" cabs? Are they new from Peavey? Has your amp caused a problem with other speakers? Do these speakers play well with a different amp?

3. Does the head have a effects send and effects return jack? Not sure what model head that is. If it does the effects return jack could need cleaning. Yes cone movement IS what we want. Hard playing can cause excessive movement which is not the amp or speakers fault but the playing style. The effects jack can cause a make and break the signal which can sound like its broken.

4. theyre not from peavey, just the speakers. The cabs were made and enssembled by an amp luthier. unfortunatly i dont have another amp to test, but that would be weird if the GK 150 w being a cab broker...how could it be?

5. Yes, it have send and return effect jack, but i never use it.

the head look like this:
    [​IMG]

6. Never using the effects jack can cause corrosion called "fretting" on the internal contacts between the preamp and power amp. Try a guitar cable from the effects send to effects return jacks and see if the problem is gone. If the trouble is gone the effects return jack needs a good cleaning. :)

7. i´ll try, but if thats the problem it should happen on both cabs

8. Yes, but if one cab vibrates more then the trouble will be worst with that cab ;)

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Does the 115 cab sound scratchy when you push in on the speaker? Just by itself, not plugged in or playing. Listen for scraping sounds inside the speaker.

10. no, it just give a clipped signal when playing and then a minutes later adds some extra distortion noise, like a second signal with a Boss Metal sound at max overdrive...

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Have you isolated the problem to the amp or speaker? Maybe borrow some gear from a friend and see if the amp sounds ok with completely different speakers and/or your speakers work ok with a completely different amp. Make sure something like a problem on the bass or bad cords are eliminated as possibilities.

Make sure everything is mounted tight on your speakers and there are no wires touching the back of the cones inside rattling.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just another FYI, it doesn't really matter how much wattage the amp or the cab's are rated- ANY amp is capable of blowing ANY speaker cab. Listen to the guys that are trying to help you, they're both very experienced and knowledgable. I just wanted to be sure you understand that the wattage ratings are not any sort of "absolute", as there are too many other variables that play a big part, such as the eq you use on the amp.

13. i ll do that. But now im thinking, once i used this head with another cab with level at 7 or 8 and it becomes to clipping... Is very probable its the head...

14. So, i got to plug only one cable from send to return?

Ill try it!

15. The eq is rather plain, bass and treble at 5. Today i tested the 1x15 and there was no distortion, just clipping when i go to 7 at the level and play a note hard...
    Im thinking the problem is the head... but im not sure yet. I got to try with another head and the same cabs to be sure...

16. If you are talking about 7 out of a scale of 10 or 11, that is normal. No amp made will stay clean at or above that with proper input gain!

17. What is the speaker model? Peavey makes several types of speakers for different applications. Identifying the the 15's would rule out right/wrong speakers.

I have used Peavey speakers in the past and they're hard to break.

18. the cheap ones, i think theyre made in china,

looks like this:

s_MLA_v_O_f_106513098_6885.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

OP, you are simply clipping the amp by turning it too high. Most volume knobs are not even throughout the dial. I've had many amps, from many different companies, where most of the useable range was in the first half of the dial. Beyond that is clipping. Yours sounds the same way....it's normal. Just don't crank it so high.

20. So, if thats the problem im needing a bigger head...

150 w in 4 ohms, and one cab of 8 ohms, maybe im getting much less than 150..., and getting up the volume dont work for balance that... i think..