1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with pickup/balancing knob?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by meisetsu33, Aug 26, 2007.

1. meisetsu33

meisetsu33

Aug 26, 2007
    Just bought a brand new Ibanez SR305DX 5string with active pickups.
    I was checking out the pickup balancer knob and when ever I set the output on the bridge pickup larger, the sound starts to fade like its a volume knob being set lower. Is it suppose to do this? Or is it suppose to still have sound coming out when I change that output? I've never had a bass with multiple PUs so I need some help on this...

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Can't make out what you're trying to convey but I can tell you what's normal from a blend knob.

The detent (center position) is 100%/100% both pups (= to two volumes cranked), turned either direction it "bleeds off one pickup to the extreme of 100%/0% (like turning down one pup till off).

It's normal for overall output to vary in mixing the blend and it's not uncommon for output at the detent to be noticeably less (apparently -3 dB) than anywhere else even though logic would tell you that's where it should be loudest.

3. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    On most dual pickup basses the bridge pickup usually sounds lower than the neck pickup, particularly in the bass frequencies. This is actually a normal phenomenon. It is due to the fact that the strings have less excursion (amount of side-to-side or up-to-down vibrational travel distance) over the bridge pickup than over the neck pickup. So the effect can be similar to having the volume turned down when soloing the bridge pickup. Some companies compensate for this a bit by over-winding the bridge pickup a little, but at the possible expense of some tone. First make sure the bridge pickup is not too far from the strings in proportion to the neck pickup, because that will make this even more exaggerated. You can compensate for this a small amount by raising the bridge pickup or lowering the neck pickup, or both of these actions. But keep in mind that unbalancing the pickups to a large degree will affect the tone when both pickups are up full, possibly for better or worse. Another option is to use the blend control just for tonal purposes, and use a master volume control to adjust for any volume differences.

4. meisetsu33

meisetsu33

Aug 26, 2007
    Thanks for the replies!
    I guess I'll just continue using the blend control just for tonal purposes, though the difference in the blend control is rather slim (except when the bridge PU is turned max of course)
    I seem to be playing with de-tent anyways so shouldn't really matter.