Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with Pickup Height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steers b-c, Feb 18, 2006.

1. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Hello there, this is my first post in this particular section of TB. I recently replaced the stock pickups in my American Standard Jazz with a set of the Dimarzio Model Js. This had made for a real improvement in regards to my initial concern, noise, but I've having serious issues setting the correct pickup height. As it currently stands I used the recommended settings from the Fender webpage listed in the sticky, but the E now sends my amp into clipping and makes awful farting noises. Strangely, all the other strings work fine. Should I just lower the bass side of the pickups until this issue goes away, or am I missing something here that would be causing this issue? Thanks for your help.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's what I'd do. The DiMarzios give off a higher output, so it would cause clipping on the bass side. The Fender webpage gives you the accurate setting for their pickup, not for others with different amounts of output. Just lower the bass side a little, and that should solve your problem.

3. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Yep, that's exactly what I did and it worked perfectly. Thanks for helping out.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    No problem!! Glad to be of service.