Problem with Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Hi everybody, I think the bridge pickup on my Rickenbacker 4003 is not putting out any sound, and I was wondering what might be the problem. If anyone has an idea of what may be causing this please tell me so I can look into it.

Currently, when the pickup selector is in the middle (both pickups on) it sounds the same as when only the neck pickup is on. Also, when only the bridge pickup is selected, no sound is produced at all. Once again, any suggestions, send them my way. Thanks.
  2. It could be several different things.
    1. Faulty pickup
    2. Faulty pickup selector switch
    3. Loose or bad wiring/bad solder joint.
    4. Faulty volume pot.
    5. Possibly plugging into the wrong jack (stereo/rickosound) instead of the MONO jack on the bass (if so equipped)?

Hope these ideas give you someplace to start troubleshooting..

3. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    I had this happen to my Washburn xb-200 that I bought used.

only AFTER I replaced the pickups with EMG select's.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

turn amp volume low and tap on the poles/pup with a small allen wrench (whatever metal). You'll get an obvious punch if the pup is working. If not, look in the control bay for any loose connections/probable shorts. Chances are slim there's an issue with the pup itself if it was working before, hasn't taken a recent hit, or been jacked with. Pups are fairly impervious and about the last thing to go wrong. You can always wire it straight to the jack to rule it out. If it doesn't work ran straight to the jack then it's either in the pup, your connections, or the jack since you know the cord, amp, and electrical supply worked with the other pup. That is short of some fluke concurrence with the latter.

I assume that's not a stereo Ric?
  5. Thanks for the suggestions and information everyone, I'll look into the connections and whatnot today. I'll post back when I figure it out or if I have any more questions. Thanks again.