1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with purchased bass, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Mike Ipp, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Dump the jazz and get the even swap for a Warwick 5 string Standard (passive ash)

25 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Take it to a Fender Authorized Dealer and get a replacement neck

41 vote(s)
    46.6%
  3. Try to find an even swamp jazz bass (Blizzard Pearl, no garruntees they can find it)

10 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Or dump the Jazz and get a refund

12 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. THE 3RD OPTION WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SWAP NOT SWAMP*** OOPS!!!

Hey guys,
    I recently got one of those incredible deals on a blowout 2008 Fender Jazz Bass, and when I purchased it the bass was in perfect condition. I however left for winter break and left my bass in its case in my apartment with the heat left on at 68 degrees (I have exotic fish so they can't be left in the cold), and when I got back and took the bass out, the neck was warped and there was considerable space between the 12-20 frets. I have taken it back to the GC I purchased it at several times and had it adjusted and set up and so on and so forth, but the neck just doesn't want to hold its adjustment. Well the manager over there is a great guy and a good friend so I've kept him up to date on everything, and he's offered me several solutions all of which will be in the poll.

Edit: I got the bass for 500 out the door, the Warwick is a 5 string and will be an even trade, it is priced at 799. I do love the Jazz, but I do like the Warwick as well.

So TB...what do I do?

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Depends on how good of a deal you got. I guess it's more the deal that you don't want to give up rather than the bass itself. If those assumptions are correct, see if they can get a similar bass for an even swap. If not, off to Fender for a replacement neck.

If you don't really care about this bass. Get a refund and keep looking.

3. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I had a Fender Strat neck take on a twist a few months after I bought it. Fender sent my GC a new neck and they put it on for me. And the new neck was absolutely fantastic. Better than the other one was when it was new. I voted that you do that. Mine was under warranty, but if yours is out of warranty, a new neck is worth the cost, and I would think that the new neck would have its own warranty.

You don't say if you like it. If the neck was good, would you like the bass?

4. New neck - Fender will cover it. Ask now.

5. Foreman_

Foreman_

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver B.C.
    If you like the bass, get Fender to replace the neck.

6. I voted to get an even swap bass. If they can't find it, then you're not out anything, and you could then go get the neck replaced if they can't. The Blizzard Pearl rocks, I have one and I love it. Ordering a new neck could take quite a while from what I've read about other people having that done.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If the bass is still under warranty then just have them put a new Fender neck on it.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I voted for the Warwick swap, but that probably has more to do with personal preference than anything else.

After that I would go with the even swap and then the replacement neck. Since it sounds like you got a killer deal, the refund route isn't too appealing.

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Why do so many people not take advantage of warranty options when they do exist?

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If I bought a Jazz bass, I'd be making certain it played, no matter what.

11. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    +1

12. Well, heres the following problem for me...

I did speak to Fender today about the replacement neck, however they told me it MUST be at a Fender Authorized Repair shop, and the closest place is in Jacksonville, Florida...I however live in Tallahassee, Florida, 2 1/2 hours away...

There is good and bad news to that, my immediate family lives near Fort Lauderdale, and we check and theres plenty of places that will be able to take care of it, the bad news, I'm not set to go down there anytime soon (probably within 2 months)

So anyway, I'm going to check to see if theres any immediate even swap jazz basses, if not, then I will have to wait the 2 or so months till I go south to get it done :crying:
    I do like the Warwick, and I could defintely stand to upgrade my 5 string, but a Jazz is a Jazz, and I feel if I should ever sell it, it would retain its value better. Also, the Fender help line guy, John or James (forgot the name already) did a great job and was very helpful on the phone! +1 for Fender customer service.

Also, thanks for all the replies!

13. Ok, so I got the new fender factory neck installed on my bass, and im still having issues. I first got the bass back at the shop and the action was set very low and there was some buzzing, so I adjusted the bridge and played it with a little buzzing. I mistakenly attributed it to the new stainless steel strings I had put on it and figured they'd eventually mellowed out. So I bring the bass home, play around on it for a little, and started to notice numerous dead spots from the 7th fret down along with consistent buzzing. Plus no matter how high or low I set my action the string is still hitting other frets, such as when i play on the 7th, the string is buzzing on the 8th. Another issue is when I slap it sounds pretty much dead, I hear the percussion of the slap, thats it. Now, I probably should have been more thorough in the shop before bringing it home, and hopefully its just a minor issue like unlevel frets, but what on earth can be the issue? The neck isn't banana'd up, its straight as an arrow, but Im still having issues! I am going to take it back to the tech and see what he can come up with, but I'm looking for some advice or opinions...

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just find it odd that the neck got screwy over a break left in its case in a stable temperature climate. Can't for the life of me fathom why it would go from perfect to screwed in that short a time. Not saying that's not the case, but you don't exactly live in an area of extreme temp changes / fluctuations...

either way, sucks your new neck is not to your liking.