Problem with recording sound

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SeeneX, Dec 27, 2019.

1. SeeneX

SeeneX

Dec 27, 2019
    Hello all, i’m new here, so i need some help and advice. To start with i have yamaha trbx304 active bass and fender rumble 25 amp. Recently i bought alesis io hub DI and tried to record track with ignitis software. The problem is that sound is really bad quality, i hear some buzzing and sound is is silent, when i try to volume it up i hear hard distortion and quality becomes terrible. Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? Also sorry for bad english

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    How are you connecting to the Alesis IO Hub? Straight from your bass to the Alesis? Or bass -> Rumble amp -> Alesis?

3. SeeneX

SeeneX

Dec 27, 2019
    Tried bass>amp>alesis>pc and also tried bass>alesis>pc and both same result, just with second one the sound was more like digital not “bassy”

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    You won't likely get a decent sound using the headphone out jack from your amp to the Alesis - very likely too hot a signal and/or impedance mismatch between the headphone out on your amp and the input on your Alesis, The Alesis is expecting a mic, instrument or line signal - you're possibly sending it something hotter and with more impedance and that may be causing problems. So, skip using your amp altogether. It would be a different story if you had a "line out" on your amp, but it looks like this model of Rumble doesn't have that capability. I don't know anything about this Ignitis DAW software, so the following is generic advice, but should still apply.

So, with your bass going right into the Alesis (and then into your computer), I'd try this first:

1. Plug your bass into Input 2, set input to "Guitar"
    2. Adjust input level on the Alesis just below where it clips. It doesn't look like there's a clip indicator so you'll have to do this by ear. Start with your level knob at 12:00.
    3. In your software, set the track you want to record to to monitor Input 2 from the Alesis. On that track, there should be a control where you can again adjust the input gain for that incoming signal. There may be level indicators in that software; set to just below the point where it starts clipping. You may need to go back and adjust the input gain on the Alesis if you can't get signal to stop clipping in the software.

You want a high enough gain to get good signal to your recording software, but not so hot at any one point that all you hear is distortion.

At this point, you should be hearing the signal you expect - a clean, unaffected bass signal.

If not, here's where things get tricky with interfaces and recording software: monitoring. You may want to monitor the signal directly coming from the Alesis (hardware or "direct" monitoring) or you may want to monitor the signal that the software will record (software monitoring). With hardware monitoring, you're hearing what's happening between your guitar and the Alesis only. This is often a dry signal unless you run FX or preamp before going into the interface. Advantage here is that there's no latency or delay. With software monitoring, you're hearing what the Alesis sends to the software, how the software processes your signal and then sends it back to your interface (and then headphones). This is an area where sound issues can occur and it's sometime easy to fix, sometimes not so easy. Sometimes what happens is you hear BOTH the hardware and software monitoring signal and that usually does not sound good; you may need to mess around with that "Direct ON|OFF" toggle switch on the Alesis and/or mess around with the track controls within your software.

Another complicating factor could be the drivers needed to run your interface and the settings that the drivers use (often controlled in your computer's audio settings controls - and sometimes accessible from within your recording software). If you're on a Mac this tends not to be an issue; more problematic on Windows, IMO. I've had good luck with asio4all drivers when encountering issues like this on Windows.

Try those steps above and tell us how it worked out.

5. SeeneX

SeeneX

Dec 27, 2019
    Thanks for you time on helping me
    Did all these things that you told me and results are better. I can hear pretty much clear sound, but sound it produces is different from Alesis to headphones then for example normal sound when just simply plugged bass>amp. The sound from DI has higher pitch, like guitar would be tuned up or out of tune, even though it really is tuned how it should be because in headphones I hear one sound, then take off them and same note from bass sound "lower"
    Another question, I don't have studio headphones, I use simple Razer Kraken v2 heaphones, so to plug them into Alesis I have to uses 6.5 to 3.5 socket converter. Problem is that if I plug headphone jack to then end of 6.5 converter bass has stereo sound, but sound from any melody in software/pc sound/youtube or any other stuff is terrible, but when I pull a little bit out 3.5 jack from 6.5 jack everything sound fines, but I can hear bass only from right side of headphones. Is this headphones problem? 6.5 to 3.5 converter or Alesis?

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    You’re welcome! Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction.

That pitch issue is a weird thing. Not sure what would be causing that issue aside from something with your software.

Could you perhaps upload a sound sample of what you’re hearing?

For the headphone jack, your current adapter sounds like it’s mono. Your headphone jack is stereo so getting a stereo signal is expected.

When you use the adapter, if it’s not stereo, you’ll only hear one channel.

Get yourself a stereo adapter jack like this. You can tell it’s stereo because it has three metal segments on the tip (and two plastic segments). A mono plug has two metal segments and one plastic segment.

441F0386-2A45-4B94-81B6-B0572C29EE68.png

7. SeeneX

SeeneX

Dec 27, 2019
    Hello i have stereo adapter as you described, and with this one i get mono sound unless i plug it off half way and leave it be, then i hear all audio but bass sound only is in right side, and if i plug it to the end i hear bass from both sides of headphone but other sound are really bad
    Later i will upload sound examples

Attached Files:

8. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Your headphones are gamer headphones with a built-in mic. The 3.5 mm plug uses an extra "ring" section for the microphone.
    Your headset's 3.5 mm plug probably looks like this:
    20669.jpg

But the adapter is designed for standard stereo headphones that use a 3.5mm plug like this:
    20644.jpg

You'll need to get some proper stereo headphones.

9. SeeneX

SeeneX

Dec 27, 2019
    thanks for reply, it is as you said about jacks, mine has three rings, so that gives me problems with sound. then, what not very expensive headphones could you recommend?

10. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I use AKG K240 headphones, about 50 US dollars, and Sennheiser HD 201, about 30 US dollars.

11. SeeneX

SeeneX

Dec 27, 2019
    Damn i didnt thouhgt that studio headphones that cheap can be good, i ordered Sony pro mdr 7506

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021