1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

problem with short scale bass and tuner pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scott Baiowulf, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    Anyone else have this problem? Whenever I play my short scale bass it just won't work with my tuner pedal. I don't have any problems with my 34" scale bass, but with the short scale it either won't recognize the notes at all or swings wildly and I can't get a solid read on when it's in tune.

2. I don't have any helpful suggestion, I'm afraid, but I'm pretty sure that scale length is irrelevant for this. Even my mobile phone tuner app can deal with anything from guitars with 241/2" scale up to 35" 5-string basses...

I have had some basses being a little more unstable than others when it comes to reading the tuner output. It generally comes with a bass that has lots of extra noise, maybe some fret buzz that produces extra overtones and masks the intended signal? Bits on the bridge vibrating? Single coils picking up interference?

Plectrum72 likes this.
  3. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    hmmm. I recently gave it a full setup and the pickups aren't noisy (Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder P and Lace Aluma-J). The single coils on my G&L JB-2 are way noisier and it doesn't have any problems with the tuner. I figured maybe it was because of the difference in harmonics but I can't find any info online. Maybe I just have a poopy tuner.

4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Will it work if you send 12th fret harmonics to the tuner instead of the open strings?

5. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    Slightly better but still not reliable. Nothing like the 34”

6. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    No, tuner works perfectly well with all my short scale basses. You need a better tuner.

Wesley R and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  7. Turn the pot volumes on your shorty up.

Seriously....I've done a couple of times where I got no signal to the tuner..my volumes were all off....:bag:

Duder, mcnach and Plectrum72 like this.
  8. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    Volume pots were all the way up

9. Instrument jack good?
    I have an Ibby Mikro that kicks in and out of connection at the jack at times.

Some instrument cables are a hair smaller in diameter than others too.

10. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    What kind of tuner are you using?

telecopy likes this.
  11. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    Cables and jacks are fine. Short scale plays nice with my amp and other pedals and my G&L plays nice with the tuner. Tuner is a cheap Donner. Thinking about just trashing it and getting a Korg.

telecopy likes this.
  12. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Problem probably solved..

13. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    Yeah I figured it was probably just a cheap pedal but I’m still super curious why it’s only with this one short scale. Maybe the missing harmonic or something?

14. I use a clip on tuner and have zero issues tuning my short scale basses.

15. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Play the harmonic note at the 12th instead?

Wasnex likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Shorter strings have less fundamental. The problem you describe is not unusual.

Scott Baiowulf likes this.
  17. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Short scale basses have lower string tensions typically, and this can result in the notes being unusually sharp during the attack. The lower tension strings can also take a bit longer to finally settle down on pitch.

If still a problem, even with a better tuner, try plucking the string softly without pulling it much from its rest position.

-

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    mute the strings slightly when tuning

Lvjoebass likes this.
  19. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    Don't know what bass you have, but if it's multi pickup, try it with each pickup solo'd and full-on?
    Mike

20. Josh Gone

Josh Gone

May 28, 2015
    NWPA
    I have issues with tuning my E string to drop D on my medium scale P Basses. Never with my 34" scale basses. Boss TU-3 tuner. You are not alone.