1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problem with Sliding on Bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nathan Ferguson, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nathan Ferguson

Nathan Ferguson

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    I play a lot of gigs outdoors and one thing that I have a problem with is wind. I just can't slide up the fretboard as smoothly as before the wind came. My guess is the wind dries the fingers which makes it more difficult to slide.
    Has anyone else noticed the same problem happening to them?
    If so, I'd love to know if you've found a solution?

Also if anyone has any tips for playing in cold weather I'd love to hear them. I find that it numbs my fingers and slows them down. Not a good thing especially if you're playing relatively fast bass lines. I've tried fingerless gloves before but, I don't think the material was quite right. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. 1. Silicone spray on the strings.
    2. If it is that cold there will most likely be a heater on stage, stand close to the heater.

Other than that ... good luck.

Element Zero and Nathan Ferguson like this.
  3. Nose grease.

Seriously.

4. Nathan Ferguson

Nathan Ferguson

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Ok thanks guys. I was looking at Tone Finger Ease just the other day. I might give them both a try. See which one's the best to use.

Element Zero likes this.
  5. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    Labella tapewounds, particularly the white ones.

William Shafer likes this.
  6. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Solution to wind and cold affecting your playing? Play indoors:D

Nathan Ferguson likes this.
  7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    When I get wind on stage it tends to bother the others more than me..

Nathan Ferguson likes this.
  8. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    So many jokes... so little time...

On the sliding, you can try the various fret sprays etc which will/may help but the most effective thing will be adjusting the amount of finger pressure you're using when you slide. Chances are you're regularly using more pressure than is strictly necessary all the time any way. Using a lighter pressure when the strings feel sticky like that will reduce the friction and assist with the fluency of the slides.

On cold hands outdoors... fact is if its cold enough to make your fingers stiff then you'll have problems of one sort or another so, while fingerless gloves or whatever will feel funny on your hands, if your hands get cold they will feel funny anyway. Another helpful hint is but two big cups of coffee before you go on. Drink one which will raise your core body temperature a bit (also wear clothes which keep your body core warm as well - the warmer the blood coming out of your body core into your arms and hands the better!). Then DON'T drink the second one but set it on to of your amp and use it as a handy between-song-finger-warmer. Seriously!

Nathan Ferguson and Element Zero like this.
  9. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    That is exactly what Jimmy Johnson suggested to me for that problem. It works!

5StringBlues likes this.
  10. Nathan Ferguson

Nathan Ferguson

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    @AndreasR I was actually just looking at a video of Bass String Comparisons. Tapewounds look very interesting. I'll definitely be researching more about them.

@Element Zero I knew straight away that someone was going to write that. :roflmao:

@SteveCS You sir are amazing :woot:

@TrevorR Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will give both of them a try. Thanks for the help.

Element Zero likes this.