Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem With Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6-3-2, Feb 23, 2005.

1. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Alright so on my amp this one wire connected to the left speaker keeps coming lose. The solder just breaks off. Now this has happened twice so I've ruled out coincidence. What could be going on?Two, what should I change? I really want to get back to playing my amp, it's killing me to be without it's use.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Seeking clarification here- the solder connection that comes loose is:

on the amp (a solder joint on a jack)

on the speaker cabinet (a solder joint on a jack)

on the left-hand speaker, inside the speaker cabinet (a solder joint on the speaker terminal)

on the left-hand speaker (connecting the voice coil to the terminal bus on the speaker)

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Alright, it's definately connected directly to the speaker. It's connected to a little extension off the side. Could be the connection to the voice coil, I'm not sure though.
    What happens is the speaker(s) distort, and recently they've just been cutting off, no sound and some pops and hisses, like when you plug in a cable, or unplug a cable.
    I'm thinking maybe moving to clamp connectors, I hear those are better for high vibration environments, but I really don't know much about it. I might just call Low Down Sound, they make custom cabinets after all.

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It sounds like you are describing the terminal strip on the speaker frame. It has wires (small, woven) going to the speaker voice coil, and then the wires that connect to the jack on the cabinet.

They normally terminate in spade terminals (you can buy a tool at Radio Shack) but I prefer solder. The trick is, you need to make a good mechanical connection and then flow solder on it; don't expect the solder to keep things mechanically tight. If you don't like soldering, the crimp tool from Radio Shack is less than $10 last time I checked.

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I see, I'll check that out, and probably call the guys at Low Down Sound too. Thanks for the info, I think that was the problem, the wire wasn't really securely set down, so it probably just broke because of weight.