1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

problem with steve harris pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by norralylth, Jun 19, 2014.

1. norralylth

norralylth

Jun 18, 2014
    I had Steve Harris signature pickups installed on my squier p-bass today, i like the tones, its amazing with the flats.

The problem is, even my squier vintage modified jazz bass has higher sound output.. I get sound, its not very weak, but i expect to get something stronger and louder from that pickups.

What could be wrong?

Should i have them removed and re-installed?

2. Have you tried raising the pickups? I have these pickups as well and output is not an issue. I have them set lower than I've seen recommended and still nice and loud.

3. norralylth

norralylth

Jun 18, 2014
    They are as high as they can be (but they are lower than the stock pickups, they cant be raised more), should i tell the guitar tech to put an extra support part under them to in order to make them higher?

btw. I live in Istanbul, we dont have many guitar techs around. Only one shop sells SD pickups and they dont have another one so that i can compare.

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah good rule of thumb for p-up installation is to have enough foam to get the pickups and strings touching with everything absolutely flat, that way you can get it where you like to suit your playing style. EMGs love to get riiiiight up to the strings they need more foam. I'm sure the guy won't mind slapping some more on for you, I'd be surprised if he charged since it just takes a couple of minutes to do.

norralylth likes this.
  5. norralylth

norralylth

Jun 18, 2014
    I dont think that he will try to charge an extra.

The shop keeper is another story, instead of admitting something wrong with the sound he turned up the gain on the amp to hide the flaw.. Told you i live in IStanbul, if they smell newbie guitar player, they do every trick they can. Trial and error i am learning from the hard way..

Good you reminded, i will bring the foam of my stock pickups just incase he doesnt have spare foam.

I hope the problem will be solved with just re-installing the pickups.

6. As long as the screws currently installed are long enough it shouldn't be an issue. The foam that came in the SD box works nicely too. I'm going to remove the springs on the screws and go to that foam myself.

7. norralylth

norralylth

Jun 18, 2014
    Problem solved :) We checked the connections again and put extra foam under the pickups. Thanks for the advices.

8. Nice. Glad it worked out.

norralylth likes this.