Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem With String Noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by srxplayer, Sep 7, 2004.

1. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have been playing for about 7 months now and I'm still having a problem with string noise from my fretting hand.

I seem to have this problem with quick changes like on a 12 bar blues riff. I get that sort of high pitched finger scratch between notes. It doesn't bother me when I'm playing guitar but I hate it on my bass. I keep trying to work on being more deliberate of pulling off straight up but I just can't get rid of it.

I don't have much of a stretch. I get about four frets index to pinky and thats working hard to do it.

Is this a technique problem or is this something everybody lives with? Should I try flat wounds to get rid of it?

I am using DR high beams right now and it's worse than ever. My bass came with Elixers and I had that problem, I changed to Ernie Ball Slinky's and it didn't help either. Of course all of these are round wounds.

This is really bugging me. Help!

2. When you pull your finger off the fret, are you bending the string so that it touches the edge of the neck, making a high buzz noise?

Also, with a pull-off, don't think of it as taking your finger straight off the string, otherwise you won't get much volume. I actually pluck the string with my fretting hand during a pull-off. Well, it's not really a pluck, but it has the same effect.

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    The problem might be something I learned not to do when I was learning DB, it was called "pancake hands" (it was elementary school.) Basically, if your fingers are too flat you can't lift them high enough off the strings, which causes slower movement, and in the case of bass guitar string noise. Practice scales with your fingers as bent as possible.

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Just read this again.... don't work to make a stretch, change positions if you need to.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    String noise with roundwounds isn't uncommon, especially if you're making lots of position changes. If it's really annoying you, just turn down your tone control.

6. Ah, yes, "pancakes". Regarding that, I only move my hand up like that when taking a fast solo, and even so, not very much. You do that with guitar, but on bass, you fret with the pads of your fingers. Most bass players, at least.

7. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It sounds to me like it's something that I will just deal with. Improving my technique should help but will not eliminate it.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep working on it.

8. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    It depends on the neck radius and your finger length, I can still play with my pads and have my fingers curved. Also, as long as your thumb doesn't peak over the top it shouldn't be too hard for most people on a 4 or narrow 5.