Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problem with strumming

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vince S., Feb 15, 2003.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Im a beginner at the bass guitar, and I play with an xtra heavy pick. I cant seem to strum fast, and when I try to, it sounds very messed up; like the note comes out very uneven.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

2. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Concentrate at first on evenness instead of speed. When you find the speed at which you can hold a steady tempo then practice that for a while and then move up to a little faster. And get yourself a lighter pick. I'm just learning how to use a pick and the thick ones have a harsh tone and are just cumbersome. The thin ones seem to glide over the strings instead of forcing the sound out of them, especially when I play chords.

3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Thanks for the advice. I tried a light pick and now I can strum MUCH quicker, and it sounds more crisp and even.

4. Exactly. I started out thinking I'd need a heavy pick on the assumption that bass strings would require something tougher, but upstroking became a real chore. It's much, much easier with a light pick. Though I rarely use a pick nowadays, when I feel like using one I always go for the light range, and if I have to, medium at most.