Problem With Tapercore E- String Breakage

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzpurr, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Jazzpurr

Jazzpurr

Dec 31, 2007
    I have a Fender, American made, Jazz Bass 5 string and have been using Fender Super Bass 8250's with tapercore E and B strings. My problem is that the E string breaks at the bridge saddle. I have taken the bass to a repair shop and had the technician assess the bridge saddle. He found no problems with the bridge. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Also, I cannot find a tapercore low E string (.110) sold separately. Consequently, I find myself purchasing complete sets and only in need of the E string. Is there anyone out there selling single tapercore E strings? Any other suggestions or thoughts are welcomed.

2. Try Juststrings.com

....perhaps try playing with a softer touch, tapercores are quite delicate creatures.

3. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I tend to agree that easing up on the strings may be the answer. Turn the volume up and lighten up. I've used these Fenders (4 string version) for some time and love them and never had a problem. Nor do I know of anyone having this problem.

4. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
  5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    While exposed core strings may be a little delicate, I don't find that to be the case with a tapercore.

If you regularly break strings at the bridge, there is a problem at the bridge. Take it to a different tech.

How often do you break strings?
    How many have you broken?
    Has it always happened with this instrument or is this a recent issue?
    Does the string break at the saddle, where it goes through the bridge plate or at the ball end?

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    taperwounds are roundwound strings with tapered windings. they're thinner at the bridge, and then more windings are put on. if you've ever looked inside a piano, the low strings are always taperwound. (i think this is right...:rolleyes:)

tapewounds are a weird kind of flatwounds with nylon in them. soundwise they're smoother and thumpier than rounds, but brighter than flats. the real advantage is that you can do great fretless-sounding effects sliding up and down the fingerboard. fender makes tapewounds, but i think ghs makes them. i assume the ghs is much better.

EDIT: oh, i have a question of my own. what is the advantage to taperwounds?

7. Not necessarrily, I use GHS and Fender: The Fender's are bright, clanky strings, that pretty much sound like rounds without the abrasive feel.

The GHS' are extremely thumpy, with a smoother feel. If Fender made their 9120's in a 5 string set, I would pick Fender, hand's down.

Depends on who you're talking to. To each advantage that it brings, there's several Dis-ads.

8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    JustStrings or BigCityStrings can get you singles - a question;

Where at the bridge is your string snapping? Is it at the saddle witness point or where the string comes up through the body? Are you stringing through the body? If so, try stringing through the bridge and see if that helps as the through body break angle can affect tensile strength.

9. Jazzpurr

Jazzpurr

Dec 31, 2007
    The string seems to break at the saddle contact point,I've thought about stringing through the bridge,but I don't want to re-intonate and it obviates the point of the string through body feature(one of the reasons I bought the bass).
    Also,I live in a rural area and don't have the luxury of multiple choices in qualified repair
    outlets.
    I looked at string options and am waiting for a return E-Mail from Ken Smith to see if I can purchase single Tapercore strings that might have a longer lifespan than the Fenders

10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    FWIW - the intonation point should move very little if at all when strung through the bridge as opposed to through the body.

Its breaking at the saddle could still be a through body issue, and one remedy could be to ease the witness point at the bridge plate where the string bends to head toward the saddle. If you have or can come by a rat tail file (round and slightly conical), try easing the front edge of the hole the string comes up through.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021