Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem(?) with tapers on my USA DLX 5 Jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rockin John, Sep 12, 2004.

1. A touch of advice please.

My brand new American Deluxe Fender Jazz 5 is fitted with the stock strings, 8250, which has tapered B and E. And, to be really honest those 2 strings don't sound that good.

I had no qualms when trying it amplified in the shop and it sounded OK acoustically. But last night I really gave it a thorough session and I wasn't that impressed. For certain, it's worse than my £300 Yamaha by some margin on B and E (that being fitted with non-tapers). These two strings sound wooly and indistinct with vague fundamentals: the vibrate in a peculiar way, too.

Now, either my new bass is one of the worst ever made, or these (all?) taper strings are no good for whatever reason, or my bass and tapers don't like each other.

The dealer was quite happy to order a new set of 8250s (yet to be fitted by him) and I have not tried non-tapers on it for a comparison.

Any thoughts on taper strings generally, or tapers on my 5er greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to these strings and this bass.

Thanks V much.

John

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    both my Tobias and my Sadowsky prefer a tapered B. I never tried a tapered E and I'm not all that sure I'd want to.

For some reason, although there are several Fender-esque basses with great B strings (my Sad being one of them) I never really heard a "Fender" 5 B string that really lit me up unless it had been worked on pretty hard.

For me choice of string is a pretty big deal for the B string.
    I find Sadowsky, DR High beam, and D'Adarrio slow wound my favorites. In that order.

I pretty much hate every thing else I've tried.

3. Stumpy6653

Stumpy6653

Sep 12, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I have the Yamaha TRB5 and recently switched to the taper on the B string, at the behest of the local guitar guru. What a difference. It literally sang with the new taper. I left the regulars on the other four and we adjusted the saddle for the new B string. I will not go back.

I also agree about the Fenders. I have had several and everyone of them had to have work done on them. The necks were fine, but the sound had to be fixed.

Stumpy

4. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'm sure that you'll notice quite a difference with a new set of good strings. I'm not a fan of Fender strings and I once read a Bass Player Mag review of a Fender bass that said the first thing they did before testing the bass was to (I paraphrase) "take of the stock Fender strings off because the E string sounded wierd."

As far as a conventional B string versus a tapered B string, who knows. I have no problem using a plain (conventional) B string. They work fine for me.

Tom

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I own a Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5-string. IME, the factory installed Fender strings are not very good. Every other type/brand of string that I've tried on the bass I have liked better than the Fenders.

Here is a short list of strings that I have used and liked on my Am. Dlx. 5'r:

Pedulla - nickel and stainless - tight tapered B-string
    DR LoRiders - stainless - tight non-tapered B-string
    Elixir - Nanoweb - med-tight non-tapered B-string

The Pedullas were my favorite, but my local dealer stopped carrying them, so I tried some different strings. The Elixirs are on the bass right now.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I personally love fender tapers. They just sound so good on my MIA DLX Jazz, and they last a long time. Course I do love me soem DR's! Rotosounds just don't last long enough for me. I have thought of trying warwick strings, but nobody in town has them. Elixirs have been a waste of money for me. I just kill them too fast.

7. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    [Spock voice]"Interesting"[/Spock voice] :D

My experience has been the opposite...

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I know. That is why I was so appalled that it was like that. I mean, Elixirs on an acoustic guitar are amazing. They just don;t work for me on bass. They don't last in my hands, and they don't have my sound. I don't really know why.

9. Thanks folks.

Have been back to my dealer (intended to do that anyway) and he's ordered a new set of Fenders. We're going to eliminate it being a string problem. Then He's offered me swaps for other instruments if I want.

Can't get fairer than that.

John

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys....can an MIA Deluxe Jazz V be intonated properly without using taperwound strings?
    Thanks,
    -Bazz-

11. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yes. I had to move my B-string saddle back (away from the neck) quite a bit, but I have got non-tapered strings to intonate just as well as tapered on my MIA JDV.

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the response.....were you still able to go string through the body?
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yep.

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool. Thanks a bunch.
    -Bazz-

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I actually like stock Fender 8250's on my FMT V, I have no problems with the taperwound "E" or "B" either.