Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with the Akai Headrush E1, repeating noise coming out...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by De Teng, Jan 22, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Just from the moment I was borrowing this pedal from my friend (guitar player in the band too) I heard a strange fenomenon going on through the speakers. He'd never heard it... something always happening when borrowing stuff I think... :meh:

It was like a repeating was coming out of it, like a standard delay tempo, which gives a kind of 'beat or count' as normal signal. '.... tsjk..... tsjk....tsjk....tsjk... ' (or a bit noisy sound... can't describe it here) I haven't done any odd things with it, tested the cables I used and tried it at home and in the room we play. Still the same... as a matter of fact, it's getting even louder 'every day'.... (With guitar and with the bass connected it occurs)

This friend of mine isn't really fund of it (because he doesn't use the looping function and has the Line6 Echo Park for his delay sounds) and I can buy it for a small price, but I don't want to buy a damaged one which is unable to be repaired!

Anyone known to this? :help:

Thanks!

(It's such a cool stompbox and I wanna have it!!!)

2. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Heh this reminds me of a story.

Our rhythm guitarist had this nice custom SG-bodied guitar made for himself, but he found recently he didn't care for the electronics work. For the last month there's been some sort of annoying ticking sound, like a metrenome, coming from his guitar seemingly at random. It's very irritating.

About a week ago he picked up a vintage les paul he inherited and played around with it. He stopped playing, and there, lo and behold, was the metrenome.

Turns out, the problem was his watch, which he almost always wore, had been making contact with the strings, which had caused a ticking sound to go through the signal to the amp!

Though I guess that doesn't really help you, does it?

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well... not really...but thanks for the input. Now I know that something like that can disturb the sound as well.

The noise can't come from my watch, because with the guitarist himself it occured too and while I heard it today, I didn't play and was using the knobs of the E1.

Must be something with the electronics or the tap-tempo as I can imagine. Thanks anyway bro.

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Do a search on loopers and around a year or so back there was a long thread on the line6 vs the headrush. (I remember mad subwoofer talking about them)
    The one I use is fine, but I have heard people complaining of noise with other headrush units. I'd say it probably depends on the individual stompbox. Some seem to be better than others.
    If you know a good technician who you feel may be able to cure it I'd say take it. If not there's always the headrush2 ..?

5. isn't the headrush made to repeat things?

in all seriousness, i notice that too with my bass. i'll be playing, and all of a sudden, i'll hear the same thing as you. i have an RC-20 though. i usually just play along with it. ;)

but i have yet to find out what it is, but i would almost guarentee that its not the pedal, but some electrical interference...i am thinking a cell phone or something like that, and the pickups are picking up the signal...similar to pdusen's story, only not with a watch...

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    true- my pick ups seem to pick up local radio broadcasts.