Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with 'the bit at the bottom of your nails'

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mr_coffeekiller, May 6, 2004.

1. It happens every few months. I'm not sure of the proper name for it but the bit of skin at the bottom of your fingernails (where they grow from) keeps coming loose. I say loose but I mean raggedy. Which means when I go to pop the string, the raggedy skin gets caught on the string above and eventually results in a big tearing chunk of flesh and plenty of blood.

I really don't want to change the fingers(s) I use for popping every once in a while so I was wondering if it happens to anyone else and what do they do about it?

I've tried sellotape and plasters but they just peel off slowly :crying:

Anyone?

CK

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I found this seems to go away when you drink enough (water) and use a good hand creme.

I often get skin problems when I don't drink enough. At least I think there's a connection.

3. I echo this I get a lot of dry skin if I don't drink enough as well as headaches and a listless feeling. I guess that could just be my age !! I also agree that a good hand cream (I use Neutrogena very concentated and no smell) really helps.

You can also get a little cuticle pen which my wife uses to stop this getting raggy in the first place. This link is from the UK but it shows what I mean. I'm pretty sure you'll find similar in your locale.

4. Cheers people... will definately look into that cuticle pen, looks the buisness. Lets Hope I can find it in Scotland.

I thought the amount of water I drank in coffee would be fine... appears that it's not. :rolleyes:

Cheers again

CK

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    OCH! Jest use yer sgian dubh.... :smug:

6. that's your cuticles. what you have to do is this... every morning, try to push the skin on top of your fingernails back. not to the point of pain, but just give it a little shove. this builds up the area and makes it more resiliant. it takes time to see the results, but it works.

7. Unfortunately not, coffee has a dehydrating effect.
    You need to drink approximately 2 litres of water a day, that's 8-10 glasses. I stopped drinking coffee some years back and I only have 2 cups of tea a day, I really feel the difference now. Sometimes though I miss that coffee :bawl:

8. Damnit... Replace coffee?! hmm, not for a while :p

And cheers, 3 crotch grabs. I'll start that out soon... if it doesn't work, I'll be after you armed with a few haggis'!

CK