1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

problem with Wah->Behringer BDI21

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sinophysiker, May 1, 2006.

1. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    My fx chain is
    bass->comp->od->Ibanez weeping demon wah->behringer BDI21->combo. Compression and BDI21 always on. The thing is, when I want to use the wah, i have to turn off the bdi21 'cos it makes the wah a lot weaker. I really like the bdi21 with the clean sound, but now i have to bypass it at every song if i wanna add a little wah in that song, even if the wah portion only last 15 seconds, since i don't have an extra foot to switch the bdi21 on and off. i thought this behringer stuff is supposed to be a copy of samsamp bddi, are you guys with the real samsamp thing experience some similar problem or it just i get what i paid for?

2. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Perhaps if you are using the blend up full, the fat, mid-scooped nature of the tone is minimizing the effect of the wah. That would be my guess. Sorry I can't help you with the SansAmp comparison, but I do like the BDI21.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This is the single most common problem with effects. But the bdi21 before the wah and you will have no problems.

4. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Unless you want to go XLR out to the mixing board. You lose use of the BDI21 as a DI.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1, probably the mid-scoopage. Most wahs don't shift down to the bass freq, but only go as far as low->mid mids (like mine: heel freq = 250->440Hz). So, the mid-boost of the wah is countered by the mid-scoop of the DI and it seems like it sucks. The only way to counteract this, is to place an EQ or a midrange heavy dist/od before the wah. In your case an EQ would do fine. The only problem is that when the wah is off you'll have lost your sound :(

Solution for that: Loooper. Place the EQ->Wah in a bypassable loop and leave both on. when you want the wah, hit the switch on the looper!

Quick Edit: I had this problem once before with my para driver. I had to boost the mids at 750Hz (where your DI is sucking them), before my wah actually wahed, no matter what heel freq I selected.

6. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    Thanks guys. the blend knob is indeed full so i guess that's why.
    I've tried several other settings but never liked them. i've also tried to put the BDI21 before the wah and it works kinda like a notsogood overdrive(and i already have one). i'm more fond of putting it at the end of the chain and make it acts as an amp modeler. the DI thing is not a problem since i got another DI box.

the loooper idea is great, i'll see if it'll work. I do have a 2 channel loooper which currently i only use one channel to bypass my zoom708. although, even it works, i have to hit the loop switch and then move my foot to the wah pedal, there'll be an unpleasant time intevel.
    maybe i have to live with the fact that the BDI has to be off in a wahedsong.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Which is why you shouldn't have a di/overdrive box since overdrive needs to go near the front of your signal and Di needs to go last.

Putting the BDI21 infront of the wah will fix his problem and then raise another one. But at least we've answered it to what will help him.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Exactly.

9. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    One more solution: fast feet.

The saga of the perfect signal path continues....

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...I remember this problem when I had my Sans. So if I put the wah in front...then the Sans. That would cure it. However raise the DI problem. How about thid for solution. I remember in my QSC manual that if I was running paralell input into channel one. I could use channel 2's input as an output to another power amp. Could that signal be routed to the sound man?