Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with windows XP

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    This is my OS and just recently it's been giving me this problem. The task bar and the start menu at the bottom are completely black and they don't work if I click there either. I attached a screenshot to show what it looks like. I'd appreciate help from those of you good with computers.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Run a spyware detection program, like a free download of Ad Aware. Run it and reboot and see if it works then.

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Sounds like it's time for the semi-annual Windows reinstall!

:hyper:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I second the obligatory "Re-install XP" suggestion.

-Mike

5. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Since you say that this is XP, and I'm assuming that all of you're title bars look normal. No black-outs there. Then you should try changing the theme which will alter the appearence of your task bar. That may work, and changing it back may work as well. I'm also assuming you had the default, dark green task bar.

Try this before you reinstall anything.
    Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Properties.
    Click on the Appearence Tab.
    You will see a drop down box that should say "Windows XP Style". Try changing it to Classic and hit the Apply key.
    If that works or not try changing it back to XP Style.
    Also, from XP Style you can change the color scheme and that will alter the color of the task bar. You could try that to see if that fixes anything.