1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problem with WT550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HiltonHeadEd, May 20, 2011.

1. HiltonHeadEd

HiltonHeadEd

Apr 25, 2011
    OK so here is the rig. First good one btw.

I have a stock LTD B5E Bass with old crappy strings, run straight into a WT550, into an 8ohm D410XLT. The horn is at 9'Oclock. Thats it. Cables are good too....

Gain = at almost 3 oclock (used the process in the manual to set gain)

Everything flat
    Enhance at 9 O'clock
    Volume at 10 O'clock

Style is pretty much straight up 70's - to - Today rock and roll. A little loud, a little driving but not choke your mom chunk. Here is the problem -

***** I was clipping the output light on the right side of the amp. THATS BAD, right? Should it have clipped with with the above variables? *******

As I write I think I may have my own answer so correct me if needed.

Here goes:

1st, change my strings - Any good choices? my B is def floppy.
    I still have the original set on from when I bought it last month. 1st 5 string too btw. So..... I don't know what kind of strings they are. Help me here please. Just a couple of good choices that I can try.

2. My attack on the strings is much harder with a band then at home alone. So my gain was probably wrong to begin with. AND I need to hit the strings like I do at home.

3. Our drummer is a punk who cant understand volume. j/k but he is loud :)

4. our shredder guitarist was blasting me in the face with ear piercing high freqs. :) love them guys but damn!

5. there were prob some other frequencies I could have dialed in/out so I wouldn't feel like I need more volume. How do you do that the right way on this amp? I don't quite understand this yet.

But I did feel like I was just "under the mix" vs. "with it", in terms of volume.

AND/OR another solution

Get another cabinet to go with it so Im running 4ohms

but then I have another decision, which one? I would stay with Eden, so don't even go there at this point. You will just make me mental.

----OR----

I can still return the 8ohm cab and get a 4ohm instead????? I think this could be the ticket since I really don't want to spend the money nor do I think I should need too. We play gigs not EVENTS. lol

I also play in a jam band - we will see if there is a difference with the proper gain setting and better volume control. Wont be able to find out till tomorrow.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    a couple of things you can try ...

turn the Enhance completely off
    cut the bass and boost the low mid in the same amount

in general, I like to cut/boost adjacent frequency
    if I want to accentuate an EQ effect

also and 410xlt in 4 ohm will be better in your case
    because the head can go down to 2 ohm,
    even if you need to add another 410 in the future

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    IIRC the clip light is for the pre-amp stage??

If so I wouldn't worry about it if it sounds good. But if you are worried about it I would lower the gain a bit 1st.