Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem with Yamaha BB605

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CJY, Dec 8, 2003.

1. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Hi all,
    I own a Yamaha BB605 5 string bass which comes with the Nathan East preamp,purchased 3 mths ago.I love it,but the electronics or pickups are very noisy,when either pickup is favoured(it has 2 J style PUs).It is silent only when both pickups are full on.The Yamaha site says that the pickups are single coil,but I really didn't expect it to be this noisy.I had a tech look at it but couldn't find the source of the noise.Does anyone who owns this bass have the same problem?I'm looking to change the pickups,but am not sure what pickups might fit.Any recommendations?Thanks in advance.

2. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I am not too familiar with the Nathan East preamp but I have ahd luck with other Yamaha basses by backing off on the gain trimpot located in the comtrol cavity.

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i have noticed a lot of noise as well (amoung other problems with an otherwise a okay electronic system) mine isnt tooo noisy, i keep both pickus on almost all the time, and i never really get a lot of noise oout of them. the singles are noisier than my MIM Jazz i think (i cant a/b em, i no longer have the jazz) but i have never had a huge problem with it.