Problem with Zon Sonus

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ZonPlyr, May 12, 2003.

1. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, mod feel free to move if not.
    I have a zon sonus 5 string that i'm having an odd problem with. The volume control has absolutely no effect on volume. The active portion still works but the volume is at 1 static level. I have replaced the volume pot but that didn't fix it. The sonus has bartolini's with the bartolini active setup. I have checked to make sure the ground wires are still connected, all the wiring in the cavity appears to be fine and anything that was loose i resoldered. I'm kind of at the end of my rope right now since this is my only 5'er and I need it for a few sessions I have coming up. Any help is appreciated.
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Sounds like somehow the signal is sneaking past the volume pot. It's hard to tell what's going on without being able to poke around.

There are a couple of possible wirings for the Bartolini preamps. Generally, the hot signal will come into the third lug (clockwise, looking down on the back of the pot). The out will come from the middle lug and the left lug will go to ground. If the middle and right lugs were in contact somehow, that would explain it.