problem wth amp/cab..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fun with fender, Mar 14, 2002.

1. I bought a hartke 410XL and the HA3500 head about 2-3 months ago brand new..i play it with a fender jazz....I treat it very very well and dont ever turn it up past 2 1/2. When i first bought it i the head was all broke and i had to get that replaced..When i first got th cab and brought it into my basement i heard something rolling around or moving in the bottom of it., but i didnt do anythng about it....but, today i noticed weird crackly noises coming from my cab..the only way to decribe it was loud crackling noises..i only had it at about 1 to 1 1/2 master basically im pissed off. does anyone have any clue what could be wrong?? maybe its the piece that was rolling in it.. someone reply please... thanks
  2. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    ive been having the same problem(crackling) with my 2.5XL. today i disconnected to the 5" midrange driver, and it took care of it almost completely. theres still a little crackling/buzzing of sorts thru the 10s, but i *think* its due to the J pickup in my bass. i have a PJ, and when the J is soloed, the crackling can get pretty bad, but as soon as you blend the P back in, it goes away. maybe something similar is happening with yours, i dony know. you might want to check yours out. and granted, the 410XLs dont have the 5" drivers....blah, why do i even bother trying to help? haha
  3. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    first, try your rig with another bass to see if that is the problem.

second, try out your cabinet with a different head to see if that is the problem.

third, if you're sure the problem is with the cabinet, take out each speaker one by one and inspect for anything unusual. (make sure you note where each wire goes so you can put it back together)

look for cracked speaker cones (that hartke has aluminum drivers, right?), gently press the speaker cone in and out, the cone should move smoothly without any noise or "rubbing". also, check the speaker jack to make sure a secure connection is being made - and find out what that thing rolling around your cabinet is.