Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UzzA, Apr 16, 2002.

1. UzzA

UzzA

Mar 29, 2002
    I just ordered my five-stringer in the mail (its on its way here) And im not sure if my little crate bx15 can handle the low B. Well it sound that cruddy? I have no money what so ever to by a new amp so im just curious if i will damage the amp in any way.

-Uzza

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    that little BX15 probably wont reproduce a low B very well. Especially low frequencies require more power... as in a lot more than 15 watts. I would imagine that you will clip the poweramp and hear some distortion on the lower notes. To avoid this as much as possible, and to get the most apparent volume out of your combo, turn the bass control down. boost the mid a little bit to compensate. This will take the low end down, but still allow you ample punch and volume. basically youll hafta experiment with the eq section on the amp in order to find a setting that will play mostly clean. You probably wont destroy the amp if you follow this advice. If you do happen to clip and cause distortion a little bit, just turn it down. You should be alright unless you hear constant distortion and dont turn down.

hope that wasnt too vague

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'll try to put it short and simple:

If you ask too much of your (or any other) amp it will start to distort.
    As low notes require more power to be reproduced at the same volume, distortion will occur earlier on low notes - I guess you already recognised this effect.

So if you set your amp just so loud that there is no distortion if you play the low E, there will be distortion on the notes below E if you switch to a 5-string bass.

What can you do to avoid this?
    Turn down volume and/or 'bass'

As long as you avoid heavy distortion your amp will be fine.