Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problem!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by no_poetic_devic, Nov 29, 2002.

1. I was seriously considering picking up DB (i've been wanting to for a long time) but the problem is I live in a very small town and no one plays DB. So that means I have no teacher. I had a teacher when I picked up electric bass and he does know a little bit about DB but not much.
    Then I came to this forum doing some research and everyone says you NEED a teacher.
    Should I just not bother to get a DB now or would I be able to pick up enough pointers from this forum to get some of the techniques of playing?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    NAPOLEON DEFICIT,

The best place to start would be to fill in your profile so the good folks here at TB can know better how to advise you. It may be that you are closer to a teacher than you think. Even if not, I don't think that you can't learn to play DB without a teacher...but you'll always learn faster and better with one, and you'll avoid a lot of rookie mistakes and habits that could cause you serious distress and injury.

Welcome to TB. Let us know more about you, so we can give more informed advice.

Yours,

DURRL WIDE WEB

3. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    know the feeling, i still don't have one... as of yet- it's not much help that my school doesn't even have a string program :rolleyes: barbarians...
    anyways... keep checking around, it'll probably take some time and effort, but you should beable to get a lead eventually- contact some nearby colleges, local orchestra... talk to some one at a music store... anything like that... -anycase- best of luck.
    ~link

4. I met Victor Wooten around 1987 and could'nt believe how well he learned to play totaly by ear. True, he is an electric player and the exception in terms of his natural talent but I don't think you should be discouraged by not having a teacher.

I've studied with several teachers and have noticed they often have totally different philosophies and manage to produce fabulous sound using totally different techniques.

If you want to play DB, go get an instructional DVD, ask lots of questions, then go get a bass and go for it.

And most importantly be patient with yourself. I've been a pizz player for 20 years and worked on the bow off and on for about 15. I'm just now to the point that I can tolerate my own bowing enough to enjoy it.

As a kid, you overlook the squeeks and sqeels but as an adult it's much harder and therefore requires more patience.

Dave

5. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I've been playing pizz for two years now. I've played electric for about... well just say a long time. I don't have a teacher. I'm too old and stubborn to have a teacher start changing up the way I play. I'm not the best but I don't embarass myself in public. But, I did go to one when i started using a bow. See the thread in bows (first bow). It was something i had never done before and it hurt. I went mostly to prevent injury. He gave me enough pointers that the pain has subsided. Now it's just from exercise. I don't advocate NOT having a teacher, it's just not absolutely necessary if circumstances don't permit. Don't let that discourage you. I get by with my bad habits and the teach pointed out more than one but was kind enough to only suggest - not insist. Hope this helps

6. Non-iambic-pentameter:
    Ordinarily, I'm the loudest mouth around when it comes to pitfalls of self-teaching, but I know where you are, and I feel for you. If you love the instrument, more power to you. I wish you the best of luck. For self study, I'm inclined to recommend Simandl method as the one where you're less likely to get yourself in trouble. [Anybody out there have other thoughts?]
    Then, bring your questions here; there's plenty of bright people ready and willing to help.
    My only question now is, if you get a bass, will you have the opportunities to play it? You might want to consider an instrument that you can play solo, e.g. guitar or keyboard.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i studied upright wiht the principal bassist from the naval acedmy band years ago. aside from his own perspective we used simandl. which i know use on my db students.

get simandl. look thru it...you should be able to find a teacher within driving istance

8. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Good point - something I hadn't thought about.