Problematic NBD. Epiphone Jack Casady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leegreenman, Nov 18, 2017.

1. I picked up a sweet, used, alpine white Jack Casady bass this afternoon. I only played it seated in the store, and tonight, during a long rehearsal, I realized I can't play this thing standing up due to the drastic neck dive. After a couple of hours, I had to quit for the night due to the strain on my shoulder, and neck.
    I'm not sure what to do.
    I purchased it at Sam Ash, so returning it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm considering keeping it for recording purposes.
    I'm interested in thoughts on this matter.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  2. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    They are sweet Basses but personally, I would have to get rid of it. I had the same issue arise years ago when I got an Epiphone EB-3. Sounded awesome but the neck dick was too much for me. All in my opinion of course.

3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    Maybe try a different strap that might not allow the bass to slide as much? I've always liked these basses, and that one looks sweet.

4. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    This. A wide grippy strap could solve it like a wide leather strap. Also, switching to ultralight tuners will help some.

5. I'm using a wide neoprene strap. It doesn't seem to be helping much.

6. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Hmmm. If you know you’re going to keep it, you could move the strap button to the horn. The lighter tuners might help, but I don’t know how heavy the originals are. A hipshot bridge might help (they make one for the Gibson style that I’m sure is higher mass). Or, you could just move on.

leegreenman likes this.
  7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Just spit-balling here, but how about a secondary “strap” that goes from the bottom strap button, (by the bridge), behind the bass but across the front of your body to a belt loop on your left hip... Wow harder to explain than I thought :D

-robert

pudge and leegreenman like this.
  8. I'm not sure I'm interested in making a bunch of changes which may only be of minimal help.
    I may just move on.

Garret Graves, onosson and Eric ER like this.
  9. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Yeah, that’s too bad. I hear they great instruments, but you got to cut your losses at some point, especially since it’s so easy to return.

10. It sounds great, but I find it really uncomfortable to play.

11. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I noticed that in your picture, which is why I suggested a strap of a different material. Who knows, it's worth experimenting at least with straps while you still have the option to return it.

Others have good suggestions as well, but for me, I wouldn't try reinventing the wheel or getting too crazy trying to make it work. I'm in the camp of if it's not a quick and easy fix, it's gotta go. If I tried a couple straps with no charge in neck dive, I wouldn't go drilling new strap buttons to change the location or add another one for a supplementary strap, etc. There are too many choices out there to have to compromise.

leegreenman and Eric ER like this.
  12. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Lol. Nice.

petrus61 likes this.
  13. I'd say adios to that bass. There are plenty of other fish in the sea.

matthewbrown and 1960jbass like this.
  14. I'll try a wide Leather one. I'll give it a day or so. I just bought it yesterday, so I have time. I'd like to make a decision this weekend, because I don't like abusing the return policy.

Lbsterner, Spidey2112 and bobyoung53 like this.
  15. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    You could always try the Epiphone Allen Woody. It’s not exactly a Jack, but it has a nice hollow body sound. I regret selling mine more than any bass I’ve ever owned.

leegreenman likes this.
  16. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Get yourself a nice thick, wide strap and you'll probably be okay.

You also have to give yourself a little time to get used to a bass - kinda like a new pair of shoes.

I think the JC bass sounds okay and I hope that it works out for you.

Spidey2112 and bobyoung53 like this.
  17. I had one as well. I also regret selling it.
    The Jack Casady is more versatile, but not necessarily any better.

Member8675309 likes this.
  18. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    That's a cool looking bass. Maybe just play it for part of your show and then switch basses.

bobba66 and Aqualung60 like this.
  19. I have a 3" wide fabric strap for my EB-3 don't even notice the neck dive.

joe# and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021