Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problems adjusting to a six string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Feb 23, 2005.

1. hey there, after searching some of the older topics about similar problems people have had with their six string basses ive noticed there is a 'period of adjustment' involved when getting used to it.

alot of the older threads have had good ideas and suggestions such as periodically practising scales on all strings, etc.

sadly despite this im still having problems getting used to my six strong and becoming worried i may have to sell it and change back to a five.

about four months ago i bought a Ibanez BTB 406 Qm six string fretted bass. my problem is i have small hands/short fingers and i feel the large neck may be too much for me to grasp at times as at band practise i feel fatigue and aches in my fretting hand during 'busy' passages.

im hoping it is a problem with my technique or can be altered by how i angle my left hand perhaps, but ive tried many techniques and little seems to help. most of what i play is in the lower register on the B, E, and A (as we play metal, mostly low notes). im hoping i dont need to get rid of the bass and its a great instrument aside from this problem, hope :meh: :meh:

another reason my be i get the bass out only for band practise on a sunday, as at home i feel more comfortable practising my theory on my warwick four string.... :bassist: :bassist:

2. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    You should practice on what you play. It is possible that the neck on your six string bass is just not for you. I spent a lot of time to find a six string neck I liked, and it was well worth the search. Now I am down to one bass, just the six.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Raise your strap. That will help a ton. Also, use a 4 string and a 6 string, like Les Claypool. When you're playing a song that doesn't need that low B nor high C, use the 4, and when you need the lowness/highness, switch to your 6'er.

I need to stop referencing Les... :ninja:

4. hehe...cant beat a bit of referencing Mr. Claypool to get a point across ;)

5. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Play the 6 as much as you can. I beleive I read that when John Pattituci first got his 6, he took it on the road as his only bass so he would heave to get used to it.

I wish I had a 6, as my style is getting to the point where I could really use the extra range. I beleive more strings would help with theory/harmony rather than having only 4 voices to play with.

6. I just strung my five like the high string of a six e->c. Is it just me, or does the action have to go up?

7. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    When I switched from pbass to Smith 6 back in '99 it took me about a year of constant work to assimilate the instrument. I practiced scales across the full tesitura of the instrument in order to gain intimate knowledge of the bass.

9. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    When I got my first six it was the only bass I had so I had to play it. It is going to take some time but the more you play it the more you get acclimated to it. It just depends on how bad you want to play it. :smug: :smug: :smug: