1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Problems Finding Practice Space

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Toastfuzz, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My bandmates and I are having issues finding a place to practice in our town of State College, PA (Penn State). Seems cops really don't like noise in apartments or houses (we had the popo called on us before), music stores have no ideas, and the school can't provide us with any space.

What are some other options for finding a big enough and remote enough spot to practice in? We all live in apartment complexes or student housing, so it'll have to be a remote location. I want to start asking local business owners, but dont even know where to start.

Any help with this is much appreciated, thank you!

2. Check craigslist, the paper, etc but above all, go to some shows and talk to people from local bands. Maybe you can get in on a shared space...

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Don't just check CL, but make a post saying that you are searching for rehearsal space.

4. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Look on the web and in the paper for rehearsal studios

5. bambambass

bambambass

Aug 4, 2008
    nz
    Hi Toastfuzz

+1 too all of the above.
    I've been in the same position as you, seems practice spaces where I am are very scarce. I would also suggest you look at churches, community halls, organised band halls like brass bands, orchestras etc. Some bars will let you practise when they are closed, found that this normally happens if you know the manager well.

6. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    theres a small studio near where i live that rents for 15$ an hour. between a few members thats prety cheap. look for something like that.

7. we ended up renting a cheap local that used to be a drug store, we chained every door (those doors that slide vertical), and we're pretty happy.

$100 (U.S.) a month... ha ha ha ha

8. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Well,

There should be practice spaces in your town or in one very nearby.

In extreme cases, and this a fact, not an urban legend...

Rent one of those storage spaces and practice there. Pay $20 to the security guy so he shuts his beak. Find a space that is in the center of the building or one that is not close to an outside wall. As these spaces are obviously no conditioned for noise.

You could also go to the parking lot of a college or school. Buy a huge very long power extension, a badass power surge. And just play outside. AKA guerilla reheasing. Do it on a weekend when not too many people is around