Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problems for recording with musicman stingray 5

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by skasra, Oct 23, 2002.

1. skasra

skasra

Nov 18, 2000
    i have a musicman stingray 5 and a marshall b150 bass state combo,a tascam mini studio porta 2 mixer and a computer with audigy sound blaster,i tried to record the bass with line connecting to mixer,but i had noises and low signal although the pickups and electronics are active,and at last the sound was not punchy enough ,but when i used my fender hot rodded p bass the sound was better,can any one suggest me any thing to solve the problem and get a better sound of mu stingray(like flea or tony levin or... pretty colse to the musicman sound)
    thank you all folks

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a Stingray 5 and a Tascam 424mkIII

RE the noise and stuff the line out on your (or any) amplifier might be mismatched to the recorder. You might want to borrow a DI and patch that in between amp and porta. I cannot actually comment on that as I plug straight in or use a microphone.

My main method of recording is to run the SR5 with the tone controls on flat and the volume on full. I prefer the series switch setting. I try to play as evenly as I can and look to get the peaks at two red bars on the recorder. Others my disagree but I always drive the thing harder than I would digital (ie my PC when mastering). Considering the limitations of 4-track tape I'm happy with my sound and it sounds like me.