problems for recording with musicman stingray 5

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by skasra, Oct 23, 2002.

1. skasra

Nov 18, 2000
    i have a musicman stingray 5 and a marshall b150 bass state combo,a tascam mini studio porta 2 mixer and a computer with audigy sound blaster,i tried to record the bass with line connecting to mixer,but i had noises and low signal although the pickups and electronics are active,and at last the sound was not punchy enough ,but when i used my fender hot rodded p bass the sound was better,can any one suggest me any thing to solve the problem and get a better sound of mu stingray(like flea or tony levin or... pretty colse to the musicman sound)
    thank you all folks
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a Stingray 5 and a Tascam 424mkIII

RE the noise and stuff the line out on your (or any) amplifier might be mismatched to the recorder. You might want to borrow a DI and patch that in between amp and porta. I cannot actually comment on that as I plug straight in or use a microphone.

My main method of recording is to run the SR5 with the tone controls on flat and the volume on full. I prefer the series switch setting. I try to play as evenly as I can and look to get the peaks at two red bars on the recorder. Others my disagree but I always drive the thing harder than I would digital (ie my PC when mastering). Considering the limitations of 4-track tape I'm happy with my sound and it sounds like me.