Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems gluing dyed wenge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by teej, Mar 4, 2006.

1. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    OK, so I've come to my senses and decided against ebony neck stringers. They just don't fit the budget. I know wenge is pretty dark as it is, but it's still not as dark as ebony. :rolleyes: So I was wondering.... has anyone ever had any problems gluing dyed neck laminates or accent veeners? I was thinking about just using fingerboard dye, so it would match the fingerboard (ebony, also to be dyed), and I know you've got to mix that with alcohol - didn't know if there would be any problems.

2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    hey Teej, I've never worked w/ dyed wenge, but my current project has regular wenge neck stringers in it and they guled like a dream, I dont know if dying it would change that, maybe don't dye the gluing surfaces, just the edges that will show? I bet hambone would know for sure though, I know he's worked with several dyes before...let us know how it turns out either way...

3. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    Wenge turns really black just from letting it soak up some teak oil. Try it on a little piece of wenge, and if you like it, you can apply the oil after the neck is done.

I suggested katalox to you earlier in another thread and I still say that's the best. Wenge, even when dyed will look nothing like ebony because of the open grain, but katalox is just about as dense, stiff and "closed pored" as ebony is. I'm sure it would add the same characteristics to the neck as ebony would too.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you can find katalox or wamara that would be a better match.

Aren't you going to have to work the wenge after it's glued up? I don't think the leather dye that Hambone uses would be a problem with glue but it doesn't penetrate so you'd have to apply after glue-up anyways.

5. dye should not affect how wenge glues as it is pretty porous.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I'm getting the laminates pre-cut and unglued from Larry. Oh! I see what you mean now. That is a problem. I suppose I'll just have to mask off the other pieces, but the thing is, there's maple next to that proposed wenge, so it will REALLY show if I accidentally dye that.

Maybe there's some way I can have dye forced into the wood, the way epoxy is forced into the wood in stabilization.

7. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    If anyone would know if wenge could be dyed-through it would be Larry. Sounds like you are going through a great deal of trouble to get an open-grained wood that is almost black to look like ebony, though. Are you going to fill the pores, too?

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Well if katalox or wamara would be better, then I'll go with that, provided Larry has some or can get some. I'd rather not shop around, having to pay multiple shipping fees.

9. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    There are lots of tradeoffs/compromises to be made throughout the process. I can't say if Larry has any swartzia or not; I have spoken with him about the genus before and at times it seemed he had some, other times, it seemed not. My guess is he probably buys it when he sees an intriguing batch, which is not always. It is hard on tools and not always figured.

All that said, the stuff is not the easiest to hunt down on foot. I have never seen katalox at a wood store that I have visited in person. I have seen wamara once, brazilian ebony (also a swartzia) once. The brazilian ebony looks more like mun ebony than black ebony, so that stuff wouldn't fit the bill for you.

But isn't searching part of the fun? ;)

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've definitely come across new (to me) and interesting woods while looking for another.

11. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
  12. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Just don't expect to get it cheaply if you buy from Cook. Auctions are starting at $25-30/bf. At least it looks like the color in their pictures is more accurate than it used to be.

13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    The problem with buying off eBay is that I can't get wood cut to my specs, like I can from Gallery, which is a must right now. There's just no room in the apartment for a bandsaw, and even if there was, there would be a noise issue with the neighbors.

14. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    Oh yeah. Sorry, I'm new. How can you tell the total length of your peices tho? It only seems to clarify the total width. Any long enough for neck thru?