Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems installing a new harddrive. Help?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sonorous, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok, so I've got this 80 gig harddrive I've installed and I'd like Windows XP on it. Previously I was on a 20 gig harddrive with Windows 98. Yeah, I don't exactly keep up with technology, but I know an alright amount considering what I've actually been using.

I've gone through XP setup and I've got the 80 gig HD partitioned and formatted and working and can use it just fine. The problem is, I can only use it as a slave to the 20 gig still having 98 on it as the master drive (I pick which OS to open during startup).

I would like to have it to where I can use just the 80 gig as a master and not have the 20 at all, but every time I take the 20 out and plug into the 80 with the master jumper, I just end up booting to a command prompt (win32 enviroment?) with no commands that doesn't do anything. It's as if the harddrive is blank, but I know it isn't. It's the harddrive I selected to install to during the XP Setup, and when I open under XP I can even look through it and see the Windows files on it. On the other hand, if I boot with the 20 as master and take the 80 out completely, it still prompts me to pick which OS to open with and if I pick XP then it gives an error message about missing files.

I've tried making a boot disk to see if I can get somewhere with that, but it boots to the same empty command prompt, and it isn't the boot sequence causing that either.

I'm stuck and can't think any more. Help me out if you can.

2. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    Hard drives have a jumper on them where you can set them to slave, master, or cable select.

Usually, from the factory, they are set to cable select, which means whichever drive is set at the end of the IDE cable will be the master.

Check your jumpers and first make sure that it (the 80gig drive) is set to cable select or master, not slave. Then, make sure it is the terminal drive on the cable. Also, make sure that your 20 gig is set to slave or cable select. It is probably set to be the master now, since it has been...

It should work then...

3. ^
    |
    |
    |
    What he said.

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Seems to me like you've installed XP on the wrong hard drive. Take out the 20, put in the 80 with the master jumper, then reinstall windows. When you come to the partition screen during windows's install, delete ALL partitions, and create a new one. Format using NTFS, install, and try everything again. Make sure that on your 20GB HD you've put the jumper on slave before you hook it up with the 80 GB HD.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok, the problem is that the bootloader is still on the 20. Anyone know how to move it to the 80?

6. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    There is no bootloader to be moved. If your jumper settings are correct, doing what was said earlier should work.

Just a thought, but if your computer is old, you might want to look in the BIOS (press DEL at computer startup) goto the boot menu and make sure the right hard drive is in the right boot position.

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I read this last night, but didnt reply because I only know that what you're saying here is correct. But I don't know how to resolve your problem short of the previous "Format and reinstall" suggestion. I was hoping someone more knowlegable would chime in. The problem is that the 80 gig drive does not have the boot information, only the WinXP files. There is information on a secluded part of the HD that is used for initial booting, which is put there during installation. It is, as you say, on the 20 gig drive, but I don't know how you could move it to the 80. I'm sure it's possible, but I don't know how.

8. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    It sounds like from the original post you don't have XP on the 80gig yet. Is this correct? Here's what I'd do...

- Open machine.
    - Remove 20gb harddrive completely.
    - Make sure 80gb harddrive jumper is set to "cable select", and make sure it is plugged in to the terminal (last) connector on the IDE ribbon cable.
    - Leave 20gb out, and reboot machine with only the 80gb in it.
    - Format/install XP on the 80gb
    - After installing, reboot and go into bios; make sure that the 80gb drive is first in order in the "boot sequence"
    - Make sure 20gb hard drive jumper is set to slave, or "cable select" mode (NOT MASTER). Plug it in to the other IDE connector on your ribbon cable.
    - Reboot machine. Windows explorer should now show the 20gb as a second hard drive (probably drive "E:" or "F:", depending on how many CD/DVD/floppies you have)
    - You can now transfer what you want to keep to your 80gb drive, and then reformat the 20gb (but no need to put windows on it)

That should do it. It's not my day job, but I build computers on the side for friends/family/co-workers. I always suggest 2 hard drives, one for windows and your basic programs, and the second for storing your pics, videos, data, etc. That way, if you get a virus, spyware, or whatever other issues, you can just format the main drive and save all your data on the second one because the viruses or whatever typically only affect the drive windows is installed on.

To keep my own machines running tip top, I do this, and completely reintstall windows every couple months. This keeps it from getting slow and bogged down over time.

Sorry for the run on - hope it helps...

Ron

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    No, he selected the 80gig as the drive to install WinXP on, so the WinXP system files ARE on the 80 gig drive, the problem is the boot information is on the 20 gig.

10. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    Ok, you're right - when I re-read the first post before my last comment I stopped after Sonorous said "I'd like Windows XP on it" and I assumed it wasn't yet.

Couple things tho...

1) If Win XP was actually fully installed on the 80gb drive, and the XP setup did not just format it, then all the boot information is there. You cannot do a full install of XP without installing the boot information. This would bring us back to a cable/jumper issue.

2) I thought about it some more, and if the computer only has a 20gb hardrive, it's probably "old" by computer standards. Some of the "old" motherboards/chipset don't recognize/understand the "cable select" mode.

So, my advice is do exactly what I said above, but amend it to say do not use the cable select mode, but make sure the 80gb is set to master and the 20gb is set to slave.

11. Is it a Western Digital hard drive?

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You're right. It did install it. It installed it on the wrong harddrive though.

I've already tried everything with the jumper/bios/cmos settings. I know what I'm doing in that regard.

The reason I haven't just booted with the CD and installed it to the 80 with the 80 set as master and the 20 completely removed is because my XP CD is scratched and freezes when I try to boot with it. I have to boot under 98 and open the Windows Setup from there.

Yes, it is a Western Digital harddrive.

In other news, I've posted the similar threads on two different tech forums I've googled, and they've helped a lot. I've got some potential fixes I'm going to try out tomorrow, when it isn't 1:30 AM and all.

13. You have a choice of Master, Slave and Cable Select on the drive. The correct answer is... none of the above - if the Western Digital is the only drive in the computer, the jumper needs to be removed. That's the only way it will work.

14. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    Um, actually, pins 1&2 jumped is cable select mode whether or not you have one or multiple drives, and the drive will work by itself with those pins jumped ( http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf ). But you're right in that it will also work with no pins jumped if it is the only drive in the system.

And sorry to hear about the scratched XP disk. Let us know how it goes...

15. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok, I've got it working now. Ugh, that was a *****.