Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problems putting in new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by clouddead, Feb 28, 2003.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    i have snapped one of my strings. they were old anyways. so i bought some d'addario XL 5 stringers. i took all my strings off on my bass. then proceeded to put on my new G string. i put it in the hole and started to wind it up. and i noticed that the string was still touching the fretboard for some reason and i decided. it just must be too loose or something. so i wind it some more. andsnap, it broke... oh well. but.. what im getting at is that when i try to put on the strings, they touch the fretboard. i dont get it. so help me out if you can. later..

2. the same thing happened to me and all i had to do was raise the saddles on my bridge. tighten the two little screws on the saddle from the top if they arent alredy.

3. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    and i forgot to mention that i have read the thing in here on how to put in strings. didnt help. so please give a response. i need to figure it out tonight

4. If the new set of strings are lighter than your previous set, you can adjust your saddle height.

However, that may not do the trick. Another option you have to explore is re-setting the relief in the neck. A slight 1/4 turn of the truss rod counter clockwise may fix you right up.

5. i could agree with the truss rod theory but the last time i screwed with my truss rod, i found myself digging into the wallet in the bass section of guitar center shelling out for a brand new bass. I would NEVER recommend screwing with your truss rod. I did, and i paid the price, but you can take your own risks.

6. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    where is the truss rod. i know i sound like a dufus. but i ahve only been playing for 6 months. i have never had to really work on my bass. do i tighten to bring up the saddle or do i loosen?

7. tighten the saddle, clockwise turns. the truss rod is the nut thats up near your headstock (the top part where the tuners are), and theres a lil hole in between the neck and the headstock and theres a nut in there. it controls the metal bar inside of your neck called the "truss rod" which keeps your neck from warping or from other weather damage.

8. I should have added the warning in my previous post..................................

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH TRUSS RODS - TAKE IT TO A TECH.

As far as the saddles go, there should be recessed screws (most likely allen screws) on each saddle (on either side of the string). Clockwise tightening will raise the saddles.

The truss rod is located inside of the neck. You access it on most basses either where the neck meets the body, or there will be a triangular shaped cover at the top of the neck (by tuners). Remove cover to access truss rod.

Once again...........a little adjustment goes a long way. Do not expect immediate results. Adjust a little at a time, and let the bass set for a while before adjusting further.

And only do this if you feel comfortable working on it yourself.

Good Luck

9. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    First, put ALL strings, then TUNE them and then AFTER, check the action.

10. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I think part of the problem may be that there was so little tension with just one string on there.

I have heard conflicting stories of whether you should take all the strings off at once or one at a time. I do it all at once.

If you just have one string on, it is not enough to compensate for the backward bow of the neck/truss rod. Before you tune one string up to pitch, put them all on and get them reasonably taught (DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN). Then begn to bring them up to pitch. This should correct what I think is the problem.

On my Acoustic 6 string guitar, if I break a string it makes the others touch the frets. It is just that there is so much back bow tension on the neck to compensate for the strings that when that tension is not there, the neck will bow backwards and thus move the middle frets out and touch the strings.

Try this before you mess with the truss od or the saddles. It certainly will not hurt anything.

If you are changing the string gauge, you then might need to make an adjustment, but I think this will probably take care of your problem.

11. An easier way is to change your strings one at a time. Bring it up to pitch, stretch it out, back to pitch (until it holds its tuning), and then move on to the next string.

And I'd have to agree - don't touch the truss rod if you have no clue.

12. may be of help for later
    tricky area for some
    but worth getting a bit of help to learn about
    truss rod settings and checking saddle heights, pickup heights.
    :)