Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Problems running 2 cabs with SVT 3 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneDrop76, Aug 31, 2005.

1. OneDrop76

OneDrop76

Jul 15, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    OK, I have and SVT 3 Pro, Ampeg 410E, and Avatar B115H. The Ampeg is an older one, 8 ohms, 200 watts I believe. The Avatar is 8 ohms, 500 watts? Svt 3 Pro runs at 4 or 8 ohm. I connected both the 1/4" jacks in the head to each cab, and only the Avatar will work when I do this. Why? It recommends in the manual to use a speakon cable when running with a full load, but should the regular 1/4" jacks work when both are connected or not? Either cab works fine when connected by itself. So do I just need to get a speakon to 1/4", or is there something wrong?

2. I use this setup all the time, both jacks to both cabs. Did you already try to swap the jacks? Is it always the same output that isn't working or not? If yes, it's your amp, if not, it's your cable or cab...

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Are the speaker cables you are using identical?

I had the same problem when I owned an SVT-4. Couldnt mix up a speakon with another cable, or cables of different length. I dont know much about SVT-3, but it might have a tiny switch in the back for bi-amp/mono bridge.

I've heard of these problems before.. that is probably why Jason Newstead had to have about 4 of them.

4. You could also go from your amp to one cab and then from there to the other...

5. OneDrop76

OneDrop76

Jul 15, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I thought I might be able to do that, cause the Avatar has two jacks on it, and the Ampeg one. But same result, the Avatar worked and the Ampeg didn't. Could it really be that the cables are different brands or lengths? Cause they are...

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    That might be it. I even tried using the same length, but different gauge, and it didnt work. Maybe you can borrow some matching cables from someone and test it out before sinking $ into a speaker cable.

7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There isn't any magic to the hookup......... 3 PRO is simple.

If one Speaker consistently does not work, no matter where plugged in, and the other one works fine, either the cable or the speaker has a problem.

Assume one speaker has no sound...... Use same cable and speaker output but plug into the the "working" speaker.... if it works, the other speaker has a problem.

If not, could be cable or speaker jack. Change cable but use same jacks and speaker.... if it works, other cable is bad, etc, etc.

It's all about logical elimination. Change only one thing at a time..... note results.

One thing that will drive you crazy..... If you have a cable that works if you wiggle it just right, but not otherwise....

If you suspect that, change cables....life is too short to deal with it....