Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problems settin up my bass.. please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i have a geddy jazz with a moses graphite neck. i have had the neck for about 5 months but have never really been happy with the setup i have had with it. lately i have been trying to make the action better but i have been running into problems.

1) i have to use shims as the badass II bottoms out. not a big deal but with the shim in (even with the shim the action is still too high) the bass gives a raspy sound. not distortion or buzz, but it just doesnt sound meaty. the only way to get rid of the raspy sound is to have the action really high.

2) i have tried to adjust the TR to give the neck a little more bow /concaveness but even though i have loosened the tr nut all the way the neck is still dead straight. i have used a ruler and there is no space whatsever b/n the straight edge and the fret. I wouldnt mind it being dead straight, but i thought this might be a way to help get lower action without that raspy sound

2. What guage of strings and what are you tuned to? Pickup height?

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    thanks for the responses guys.

i am using Labella 760FL strings. cant name the exact gages.

standard tuning and i lowered the pickups as low as they would go so i would know that any wonky sound i am getting is not from the pickups.

this neck does fit well.. its very snug in the pocket.

bassybill suggested overtightening the strings a little and leaving it for a couple days to get some relief.

last night i spent about 3 hours fiddling with shim placement and shim thickness. i think it has reasonable, playable action now but its not what i would call great.

once i gather up the courage and strength i will go at her again. :bassist: