problems to look out for when buying a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by --Wang--, Jan 4, 2002.

1. I plan on buying a new bass soon (2001 MIM J) and was wondering about what problems I should look out for when trying it out.
    I've searched the forums and come up with:

a) deadspots
    b) snug neck joint
    c) all the stuff that is associated with an improper factory set-up.

Is there anything else that I should be weary of?
  2. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    here's one small thing that used to mess me up: make sure that the bass is tuned up to pitch when you're trying it out.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I wouldn't be too concerned with the factory setup. Lots of great basses just need a simple setup. If you find something you think you like but don't like the setup, I'd suggest having the store set it up for you, then checking it again. Once you purchase the bass you'll have to pay for the setup in most places. If you ask them to set it up beforhand, it won't cost you anything. If they won't set it up for you, I wouldn't give them my business.

I also think it's a good idea to buy from a big chain like Sam Ash or Guitar Center cuz you get plenty of time (a month) to really go over your purchase with a fine tooth comb. If you're unhappy with it for any reason, they'll take it back - no questions asked. After a month of playing it you should know if it has any serious flaws.

I usually check all the knobs and input - see if they're crackly or cut in and out, see if the neck buzzes (after its been set up to my likings), see if the tuning pegs silp. I basically play the hell out of it, and see if anything jumps out at me as problematic.
  4. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    One of the first things I always check is to make sure that the neck is lined up properly with the strings centered on the fingerboard. I've seen so many basses (and guitars) that had either the top or bottom string almost hanging off the edge of the neck.