Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

problems trying out basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cods, Nov 9, 2003.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i can't seem to find a seven string where i live(georgia), that i can play.

i went to guitar center yesterday, and i played a six string or two to see if i like then(which i did), and then i asked a guy that worked there if he could order, when i had the money, a conklin gt-7. he said guitar center just recently quit dealing with conklin.

all of the music stores i have called don't seem to deal with conklin either.

i want to play a gt-7 before i buy one, of course, but how?

i could order it off of musiciansfriend.com, but what if i don't like it. i mean, based on all the reviews and opinions that i've read about it, i am 99% sure i will like it, but there is always the chance that i won't.

2. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    Musiciansfriend has a great return policy. They will take your bass back no questions asked. Look at there sight and see the details. :bassist:

3. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i did, and it says they will take it back within 45 days of the shipping date, but what if it takes a month and a half to ship?

and i still don't get to play it before i buy it.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's far more likely it'll ship there in about a week, not a month and a half. Where do you live? You could check around TB and find someone with a GT7 in your area.

5. Given that MF has a generous refund/exchange policy, and given that there is only a 1 percent chance that you won't like this instrument (by your reckoning), you have a non-problem, Cods.

I returned an instrument to MF, and they were super about it.

6. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    I pretty much have the same problem.....

id really like to make the jump to a BD-GT7 but as i live in the UK its even more difficult for me to try one out as conklin dont even have a UK distro and musicain friend wont ship oversea's :(

im hopping i can pick up a used BD-GT7 from Ebay.com for about $1000(id go for the cheaper GT-7 just to try but i dont like bolton's) but again not a lot of user's are willing to ship across the pond to england....

im pretty sure i could sell it off over here and get back what i paided for it if it was not to my taste's
    i just have to find someone who will ship oversea's and who will not try to rip me on shipping cost's(the last guy i asked about shipping one out wanted $120 USPS althought the USPS web site quoted $80 for the package spec's i got from conklin)

good luck on finding a GT-7 to try out

7. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    It's sad but I am have somewhat the same problem was well.. but with a 6string.
    :eek::confused::meh::mad:

*smilies say it all

8. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    There's no way it will take a month and a half to ship! Find out where they will be shipping from and look at the UPS or FedEx Ground websites. You can figure out how many days it will take for shipping. Coast-to-coast would probably be 5 days at the most.

9. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    so should i take the $1300 leap of faith?

10. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    lol I should "rent" me a cirrus band's next gig... :p

11. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Of all the states to live in to want to try a Conklin, you're in luck id say. John T lives in Atlanta and he seems like a real nice guy. Maybe try to set something up with him.

12. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    yeah, but my conversation with my mom would go like this...

Me: "Mom, there is this guy on the internet...and i want to play his basses. Can i go to his house?"

My mom: " :look of horror:! Did he offer you candy son, did he?!?!?"

I would go if John was willing, and my mother lets me, but i shouldn't be making plans until he reads this thread.

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Just don't let her see the pictures... :eek: :D

Actually, a better plan with anybody who you visit to see their gear is to get one of your parents to take you. If you're of an age where you have to run decisions past your parents, then play it safe - anyone who thinks that's a dorky move obviously hasn't read enough stories about when things have gone wrong.

From the other side, if someone onlist wanted to sort out something meeting up to try out some equipment and they were underage, I'd insist that they bring a parent or guardian along - it's for my protection as well.

Wulf

14. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    yeah. i'm seventeen, and my mom would have to take me because i don't have car insurance.

*looks at john turner*

15. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I would check with Gard at Bass central, he has
    Conklin's and could help you.

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    John doesn't own any of the Groove Tools models, though. All he has are custom shop axes, and although the GTs are excellent basses they still pale in comparison.

17. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i still would like to play a seven string...to know if i could play one.

isn't bass central in florida?

18. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Yes they are in the Orlando area, Where are you ?

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    problems trying out basses.

i can't seem to find a seven string where i live(georgia), that i can play.

From the first post..

20. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I would still talk to Gard, he may know somebody
    in your area that has one. How bout Adam Nitti
    he plays & lives in Atlanta. Or get some freinds
    together and leave real early on a saturday morning and make a fun road trip out of it.When
    I lived out in West texas, Midland there was no
    music stores out there, we used to pile in the car
    and drive into Dallas/Ft.Worth,or sometime's Austin,pool our money get one hotel room and make a weekend of it.we would play everything we could
    and then talk about it all the way home, save up
    money and make another trip back to buy stuff we
    liked. Ahhhhhh to be young again.:)