1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Problems with a drop-tuned SX jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mrkreuzschlitz, Oct 2, 2009.

1. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    First off, I'll start out by saying that my bass is set up (from a shop) in Drop C tuning. There, its outta the way. ;)

Anyways, lately my bass has been sounding really "thuddy" when the strings I use are anything but freshly installed (probably because the new sound is overpowering the thud) and I'm not digging it at all. It takes a LOT of equalization to get it out and even then, I'm not digging the tone. The bass, and SX SJB-75 MRD or something, is completely stock. Most lower octave notes sound really thuddy, and I've got no idea where to start. The best way to describe it is an uneven "balance" of tone, as in a really thuddy tone that is SUPER hard to control. I know its not my technique, I don't ever get this way on my buddies basses. I've tried different strings to no avail. Could it be bad pickups, wood, setup, etc? I'm thinking about a fresh setup because I've got too much buzz on the 3rd-8th frets, and probably don't have enough neck relief.
    Also, I was looking at the bass, and the bridge is off-center with the neck. The high C and F string (D and G in standard) are almost directly over the lower pickup poles, which could be a problem, but the low C looks on center.

Basically, where can I begin to address the problem? fdsdfuyjhdfhgalfhasjf!!!!! This tone is killing me. Sorry about the rambling post, btw. I've been up a little bit too long on a little bit too much sleep. :eek:

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    no one?

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    What gauge of strings are you using?

4. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    back off the eq'ing and crank the gain. then add eq to taste.

5. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    i would suggest some HEAVY strings. Since you are tuned so low, maybe you could use a B string for the low C, and use like .50 .80. 100 or what have you for the rest.

...and maybe some new pickups. on my SX 5-string, before I replaced the pups, I couldn't really play the low B. it came out "thuddy" no matter what, just like you described. initially I went to EMG HZs and that enhanced the clarity A LOT. then i went to barts for a woodier tone. In any case, the pups may be the issue here. my US$.02.

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I'm using Elixir Mediums as far as strings. I've been really tempted to drop some cash on some Rio Grande pickups my tech's been raving about.

7. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    With the eq flat and the gain at 1 'o clock or higher, I still get that tone. I've gotta eq that sound out, and then I get a crappy tone.
    :scowl:

I'm thinking its probably the pickups.